New here and egg ID help

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mama22jaynes, Oct 10, 2016.

1. mama22jaynes

mama22jaynes New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello all. I am new here.

We have a very small flock. A total of 6. We ordered day old females who are now a little over 5 mo old. One ea RIR (Rhoda), White Leghorn (Gracie), Buff Orpington (Allie) Plymouth Rock (Lilleth) Jersey Giant (Selma), and we acquired an ISA Brown Roo (Butch-because we saved him from the butcher) who was 5 mos old when our "girls" were 3 mos.

We discovered our White Leghorn is also a Roo, so now Gracie is Greg :p So far there is no fighting, and the girls aren't overly "burdened."

Here's the question. Someone started laying eggs right at 5 mos. Given our diverse flock, we have no idea who the eggs are from. We looked online but that wasn't very helpful.

I've attached a pic, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Beautiful eggs, sorry I don't know who they came from. Welcome to Backyard chickens. I'm sure when other greeters wake up they will have an answer for you. Any chance your Jersey Giant is a Black Australorp - they do lay brown eggs- though I'd not sure that dark.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. What you can do is to apply some food dye to the vent of your suspected bird in the morning time. Any egg should then have a smear of the food dye on the egg. Through a process of elimination, you should be able to work out who is laying what.

Best wishes
    CT

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Selma looks fairly red in the comb and wattles, so could be her... but I'm betting your layer is Rhoda, who btw is really probably a Production Red... most hatcheries don't have heritage RIR's...

Better pics of their combs and wattles would help narrow it down...

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Great to have you with us. The food dye thing is a good idea. Hope it helps you match bird to egg! Best of luck and thanks for joining BYC! :)

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    They look like RIR eggs to me so my money is on Rhoda.

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! So glad you joined us. The food dye is a good idea. I have not ever owned alot of those breeds, so I can not put a guess as to who layed them. I hope you figure it out, and enjoy BYC!!

9. mama22jaynes

mama22jaynes New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Great idea!!!! Thanks.

10. mama22jaynes

mama22jaynes New Egg

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks. I think I will try the food dye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by