New here and got eggs hatching tomorrow

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bobwhite123, Aug 9, 2013.

1. bobwhite123

bobwhite123 New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    Hello ive been snooping around the forum for awhile and decided to join because it seems to be a very informative forum. I have 12 rhode island red chicks due to hatch tomorrow in with the reds i also have 20 bobwhite quail eggs that are also due to hatch tomorrow now my question is will the chickens and quail be able to stay in the incubator and brooder together? If so how long will they be ok. Also this is my first time hatching with an incubator how long can i keep them in the incubator before transfering to the brooder. What other things should i do to ensure my chicks survival

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chicks and quail chicks should be fine together for a week or so, at least until the chicks start becoming larger than the quail. Leave the chicks in the incubator until they are 3/4 to completely dry and fluffy; then transfer them to a brooder.

You should prepare the brooder today. Line the bottom of the brooder with wood shavings or chopped straw. Don't use cedar shavings, as cedar irritates chicken respiratory tracts. Place a chick waterer and feeder (or two) in the brooder. You might want to put some small stones or marbles into the water to make sure that the tiny quail chicks don't drown in it. And I assume that you have some sort of heat source, such as a heat lamp or special chick brooder, to put in the brooder. I also like to put a thermometer in the brooder in order to tell how hot it its.

The temperature during the first week should be 90-95 degrees F., and then drop by 5 degrees each week thereafter. Chicks that are comfortably warm will scurry about the brooder, eating, drinking, and sleeping. Cold chicks cluster together for heat, and hot chicks spread to the outside of the brooder, panting.

For the first day or two after the chicks hatch, I usually cover the shavings/straw in the brooder with paper towels. This ensures that the chicks learn how to eat real feed, and not just stuff themselves on wood shavings. Of course, they soon make a mess of the paper towels, and when that happens, its usually time to remove the paper towels.

When you put the chicks/quail into the brooder, dip each bird's beak into the water. This will show them where the water is, and teach them (hopefully) how to drink. You could also try putting each chick near the feed so that they can know where that is, but most chicks don't start eating until they are at least a day old. To give the chicks extra energy and nutrients, I usually put probiotics and vitamins/electrolytes in the chicks water.

And thats about all. Just monitor the chicks for any signs of a disease, such as Coccidiiosis, and they should be fine.

3. GardenDave

GardenDave Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Great info there. I was wondering about quail too but assumed there would be awkwardness as the chickens became larger than the quail. I'd have loved to keep them all in the same coop. I'd just add (from learning from other posts, not personal experience as I am in the process of my first hatching too) that it is normal for newly hatched chicks to roll around for the first hour or so, so don't freak out if that happens. Its quite impressive really to be able to roll over at less than an hour old. I was at least six years old before I could do that without coming out sideways at the other end lol.

4. bobwhite123

bobwhite123 New Egg

Aug 9, 2013
    So heres the situation all the chicken eggs hatched and all the quail eggs pipped but none hatched yet and its been over 24 hours what do i do

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Leave the unhatched eggs alone. It is possible that something has gone wrong with the pipping chicks, or they could just be slow hatchers. If you don't see any change in the eggs within 12-24 more hours, take out one or two and open them up, or at least candle them to see if the chicks are still alive. And I assume that you know that bobwhite quail eggs take 23-24 days to hatch, unlike chicken eggs, which take 21 days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by