1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New here, and having a problem with a new chick! HELP!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by galescrkchicks, Mar 3, 2013.

1. galescrkchicks

galescrkchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Hi there!

I'm Katlynn, my husband son and I live in a rural area of NW Oregon. We currently have 7 free range (during the night they are in a coop) chickens, 6 hens, 1 silky rooster. Along with two horses.

We just got 3, three day old black copper marans! Oh my gosh they are so small, and utterly adorable. I am keeping them inside with a heat lamp for a few weeks. One is relatively small compared to the other two. It is also missing down on his/her (they aren't sexed) back, neck, the crease between body and wing, and is just not as fluffy as the others...
    I'm not sure what it is. I have seen this happen with our silky hen as well.

Can anyone tell me if this is harmful, mites, or lice, or if everything looks okay? I didn't get pictures under the wings, or in the creases, because I didn't want to pull at the chick. But in the creases the skin is redish, and definitely seems irritated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you![​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I've never seen anything like that before. It could be mites, so I would suggest you dust them for it, just in case. It almost looks like it got plucked or rubbed off. Was the chick bald like that when you got it? Is it eating/drinking, acting normal otherwise?

1 person likes this.
  3. galescrkchicks

galescrkchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Yes, other than being a little smaller than the others this chick socializes with them, eats, and drinks well. Do you have any mite dust recommendations?

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, galescrkchicks, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I also am stumped by the bald patch on your chick. I agree with advice of Sumi. Good luck and have fun!!

5. galescrkchicks

galescrkchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Thank you both! Browsing BYC has given me an itch for more chicks! [​IMG]

If I mite dust one I need to do so to the others correct?

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Permethrin, or Sevin dust is good and I heard Poultry Protector is great for using on small chicks. If you treat one it's better to treat them all as mites and other bugs like to move around. Also change their bedding in their brooder.

7. galescrkchicks

galescrkchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Wonderful, thank you again!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. galescrkchicks

galescrkchicks New Egg

Mar 3, 2013
    Just an update!

I went to Wilco, and didn't want to get a mite dust or spray...I'm too ingredient picky. I took a few home remedies found on BYC (duh!) and so far the chick is already looking better.

I will for sure be getting mite dust when these new chicks are about 2 weeks not just 3 days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by