New here and needing advice please...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bakersdozenmama, Dec 14, 2014.

1. bakersdozenmama

bakersdozenmama New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Canton, GA
    Hi everyone,

I have 13 chicks that were hatched on 11/11/14. They've been in a plastic bin in our basement stairwell living the tropical life with the brooder lamp and a temp currently in the mid 70s outside the light.
    The issue is that they are really starting to outgrow their current arrangement. They are crowded and starting to bully each other a bit. The next step is the garage in a set up there. The issue is that the garage is currently at 38 degrees. With the brooder light, can I move them out there and will they be okay or should I wait another week or so. (They are really getting stinky too.)

We have four Americaunas, four New Hpshire Reds, two Barred Rocks, and three Black Sex-linked. The all have feathers with just a little baby down left on the Black sex-linked.

Any advice I can get as soon as possible would be fantastic.
    Thanks so much!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

At this age, your chicks should be kept at a temperature around 75 degrees. If the brooder lamp can keep them that warm when they are beneath it, even though the ambient temperature is 38 degrees, they should be fine.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Move them out now. Mine go out as they come out of the hatcher as long as it's above 20 outside. But once they're a month old, with a heat source, they're fine. A mother hen doesn't heat all ambient air. She provides a warm spot and lots of cool space. We do the same with a heat lamp.

It's cold in the buildings in the pictures.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Since they are getting so cramped, they would be better off outside now. But take your heat lamp out there too. Place it a couple feet above their area and they will use it when they need it. Leave it set up like this for a couple weeks and eventually they probably won't need it at all.

Good luck and stay warm!! Welcome to our flock!

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens[​IMG]!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

1 person likes this.
  8. bakersdozenmama

bakersdozenmama New Egg

Dec 14, 2014
    Canton, GA
    Thank you all for your responses. I moved them out to the garage and they seem just fine. The heat lamp is doing its job.

I'll probably move them into their coop in a week or so. I still have a little bit of work to do on the coop. Just need the roofing on the outer portion and then two portions of wire screening. Purchasing the chicks was the motivator for doing that last bit.

My family had chicken when I was five. My sons are 6 and 3. We go through a ton of eggs and I thought this would be a great way to save money and give the boys a great life skill for the future.

I actually got design for the coop off this site. Photos of a coop and I went from there. It was fun to build and will be fun to watch the chickens grow up and become part of our little family--two cats, two dogs, two kids , and thirteen chickens!

9. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm glad your chicks are all doing well. I'm not sure what kind of wire screening you are planning on putting on your coop, but if you have any predators at all in your area (including dogs and cats), I would use hardware cloth (not chicken wire or screen) as it is predator proof. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in finishing your coop.

10. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You won't save money on eggs. My local grocer has them for 99 cents a dozen now. It costs more than that for the big producers to make eggs. The grocer sells for below cost to get people to come in and buy baking supplies they sell for profit. I would never recommend someone get chickens to save money unless they live in a climate and have pristine pasture the chickens can get the bulk of their nutrition from.
    You will, however, have a great experience and if done right, get better nutrition than from the 99 cent eggs.

As for the coop - git-er-done!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by