1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New here and new to chickens.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by argonne, Apr 4, 2016.

1. argonne

argonne Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    Hi All-

I have been reading these forums for about three months now. 2.5 weeks ago I took the plunge and purchased chicks (2 BRs, 2 Blue Cochins and 1 Buff Cochin). The chickens will be a combo of egg producers and pets. I know the Cochins aren't the bset egg layers, but heard they are extremely friendly. They are all thriving and look like hens (so far). I have already gleaned so much information from these pages. The coop (a pre-made one until we build our shed this summer) will be built this weekend and will be within a welded wire 5'x10' dog kennel covered with 1/4" hardware cloth.

I am looking forward to getting more involved with the community here.

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Fore!
    [​IMG]

If you haven't already done so, check out the Learning Center, there are a ton of helpful articles there covering all sorts of poultry topics.

Have fun with the new chicks!

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC - glad you have decided to move from lurker to member. Sounds like a nice little flock you are building there. Cochins are SUCH sweet birds, they were some of my favorites when I was much younger and doing 4-H.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You got Hardware cloth, go to the head of your class - [​IMG]. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, I am so proud of you. [​IMG]

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us and congrats on your new chicks.

Joining your state thread may be useful as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by