New Here and New to having backyard chickens- Long story ;p

ericsgirlie

Songster
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
Easton, MD
First of all, I have been stalking this site for almost two weeks and everyone one seems so kind and helpful. My adventure started two weeks ago when my husband surprised us with 3 chickens that a coworker got for him at an auction. I think they are supposed to be rhode island red, but I am not sure they are. I have no idea how old they are. They are very friendly and we love them already. They are able to roam our backyard and have turned our playhouse into their house. We have been feeding them laying pellets and scraps. They had not laid any eggs until today. There was 1 egg and it was not normal it was softshelled or rather no shelled. I know I cannot post a link but it you copy and paste this you can see it here http://ow.ly/i/dHq8/original

What am I doing wrong
sad.png
Did I get really old chickens. Thank you ion advanced
smile.png

Laura

its ok my friend who also has chickens has had this happen its no problem it normally happens to new layers

maby put oyster shells in their pen it makes their shells harder

Soft-shelled eggs most commonly happen to young hens whose systems are warming up for the real thing. Have their combs changed in size/color/shape since you have gotten them? If they were small and pale when you first got them, and now they are big and red, then that's what's happening.

However, if these are older hens, it could be the stress of the move. Just provide oyster shell for calcium, and they should get back on track.

Good luck!

Hi Ericsgirlie and welcome from OHIO!

Yep, that is an egg with just the membrane, no shell, and you will see some eggs like that at first, when your hens just begin laying. You could even still eat that egg if you want to.

Take care and enjoy your little flock!

Sharon

Do you think this is her 1st egg ever? We have no way to know how old she or her friends are
sad.png
Could stress cause this. She does not seem stressed and loves people.

Back
Top Bottom