New Here and New to having backyard chickens- Long story ;p

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ericsgirlie, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    First of all, I have been stalking this site for almost two weeks and everyone one seems so kind and helpful. My adventure started two weeks ago when my husband surprised us with 3 chickens that a coworker got for him at an auction. I think they are supposed to be rhode island red, but I am not sure they are. I have no idea how old they are. They are very friendly and we love them already. They are able to roam our backyard and have turned our playhouse into their house. We have been feeding them laying pellets and scraps. They had not laid any eggs until today. There was 1 egg and it was not normal it was softshelled or rather no shelled. I know I cannot post a link but it you copy and paste this you can see it here http://ow.ly/i/dHq8/original

What am I doing wrong [​IMG] Did I get really old chickens. Thank you ion advanced [​IMG]

Laura

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Here's some reading on Soft-shelled eggs.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

3. 12304

12304 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    its ok my friend who also has chickens has had this happen its no problem it normally happens to new layers

maby put oyster shells in their pen it makes their shells harder

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Soft-shelled eggs most commonly happen to young hens whose systems are warming up for the real thing. Have their combs changed in size/color/shape since you have gotten them? If they were small and pale when you first got them, and now they are big and red, then that's what's happening.

However, if these are older hens, it could be the stress of the move. Just provide oyster shell for calcium, and they should get back on track.

Good luck!

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi Ericsgirlie and welcome from OHIO!

Yep, that is an egg with just the membrane, no shell, and you will see some eggs like that at first, when your hens just begin laying. You could even still eat that egg if you want to.

Take care and enjoy your little flock!

Sharon

6. ericsgirlie

ericsgirlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Easton, MD
    Do you think this is her 1st egg ever? We have no way to know how old she or her friends are [​IMG] Could stress cause this. She does not seem stressed and loves people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by