New here and wonder what we have.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by babyrnlc, Jan 30, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    My sil's father gave my mother and I some eggs to hatch. Just random one from his very mixed flock. Well we finished our coop and were very eager to start getting eggs. So he gave us two hens. They are between 9mon to a year. We have no idea what they are (his daughter said they are mixed.)

The first day we got one light brownish pinkish egg. The next day we got another one just like it and a dark greenish egg (like olive, but a little browner.) Then we got two every day since, but one, out of the two hens. One egg was the dark greenish with speckles. We think the gray one is laying the greenish eggs and the black one the light brown/pink ones. The eggs are medium size I would say, medium to large.

I guess I cannot post pictures, so I will try and describe them.

One is gray, like a smokey gray with fluffy cheeks and under her beak is also fluffy. Her comb is pinkish red and small (like the size of her beak, which is small too). Not sure what else. We think she is the one that lays the greenish eggs.

The other is black with brown lines on each feather. She looks black from far away, but up close you can see brown and in the light she looks like she has green on her neck. We think she is the one that lays the light brown/pinkish eggs. She does not have a comb at all, but has some red (like a comb) on her cheeks. She also has a small beak.

I am not sure what else you need to know, but I would love some help telling me what they might be. I am told the are a cross.

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    [​IMG]

The one you described first is an EasterEgger, a mutt chicken with a blue egglaying ancestor. Usually great birds, I love mine. The fluff to the sides of her cheek are Muffs - under her beak is her beard. She probably has a pea comb.

I'm not sure on the second. Trust me; she does have a comb, it is very small. The red things on her cheeks are earlobes. What color are her legs? Eyes? Beak? Skin? Is she a big, chunky bird - or a lean, small bird? The brown, is it a pattern on all of her feathers? Are her wattles big or little?

The green you are seeing is the sheen in the black on her feathers.

3. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    I'm not sure on the second. Trust me; she does have a comb, it is very small. The red things on her cheeks are earlobes. What color are her legs? Eyes? Beak? Skin? Is she a big, chunky bird - or a lean, small bird? The brown, is it a pattern on all of her feathers? Are her wattles big or little?

Would the comb be under her feathers? Her legs are light to medium brown. Her eyes are brown, her beak is light brown on the bottom and darker on the ton one (like gray). She is leaner than the other one (that seems fat and fluffy) The bron is on all the feather, but light on the ones on the head. they are like little "v's" on the end of each feather. I used to breed cockatiels and they look like "pearl" markings. I am not sure what a wattle is. I am pretty clueless lol.

Thank you so much. I know this would be easier with pictures. Hopefully I can do pictures soon.​

4. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Oh and we think she is the one that lays the light brown/pinkish eggs

5. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Woohoo I can add pictures

Pamela
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gertrude
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ameraucana--are there feathers on the legs at all??
    and Barnevelder?

7. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Her feathers go down longer on her legs than the black one, but I don't really know if they are on the legs. There are none on the feet.

We were told they were mixes.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The second girl is a Cornish or Cornish mix.

The first is an Olive Egger (cross of Ameraucana and Marans)

9. babyrnlc

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Thank you. I looked at pictures and she looks a lot like both of the ones suggested.

I did look up cornish and it says they lay 1 egg a week. It is winter here and we have had her 5 days and got 4 eggs, so I wonder if she is crossed with something that lays better?

Thanks for all you help! this is so fun. Can't wait to see what we get from all the eggs. The guy we got these from just has a huge coop with lots of chickens (and even some guinnes) and gave us 14 eggs. So we have no idea what is gonna come out. There are every color of egg you can think of in our group lol. We are going to keep 4 of the hens and give the rest back.

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by