New here! Baby ducks!

peepsandquacks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Hey, I am new here. I recently adopopted 2 baby ducks from an online breeder, and they arrived wed (my first ever ducks). I will be getting a flock (15) of guinnea hens on the 30th. I am hand raising the ducks as pets. THey are in my living room in a plastic tub and heat lamp. All I can say is WOW they are needy LOL. I am guessing they now know me as 'mama' and do a loud rythmic chirp when there water/food is out, or when they just want attention or be held. Like now, noone is in the living room, and they are doing a freak out.... And when I walk up to the tub they start hopping around and shaking their tails. I am guessing this is normal for ducks to be so needy. I always figured wild birds were more.....wild. LOL.

They are so freaking cute though, so it makes it worth it!

My guinneas will be outside farm birds, as I cant imagin giving personal attention to 15 more birds. They will be brooded in the bird house (in another tub) with a heat lamp!

Anywho! I would just like to say hello, and I hope to stick around for a while and meet other duvk and bird lovers!

I will post some pics of them as soon as figure out how....

Sorry for typos, I have 2 girls climbing on me :).

I figured out the pics. Introducing, Donald and Daisy!

ducky3.jpg

Taking a bath last night. They went CRAZY!!!! I never knew ducks ran so fast!!

ducky4.jpg

Donald

ducky.jpg

In their little brooder (I have a 250w infrared bulb about 3ft above, seems to keep them comfortable)

get them some paper towels or shavings in there to help keep leg problems down. Newspaper is slippery to babies.

Congrats on the babies and it sounds like they have imprinted on you so enjoy being momma. I plan on doing the same thing with my babies. I want them to be very social with people as I will have some kids coming by to see them and the chickens. I love my little farm. It seems like it took me forever to get here.

The one from the brooder is from the first day and I put some paper towel down on top of the paper shortly after. I read the same thing on here about the leg issues.

I am enjoying being mama. Its a little annoying 3 am when they start freaking out for attention, but other then that its fine. How many birds do you have on your farm? I will only have the ducks and the guinnea hens. We get MAD ticks out here and being next to cow farms we also get flies. I read the guinneas will kill both so they seemed like a good idea!!

Right now I have 4 grown chickens 9 babies in the brooder 5 duck eggs hatching and 6 more chicks coming next month. I want guinnea hens something fierce but my BF hates them and I am afraid he wont come over if I get them. LOL

Hello. Welcome to the world of ducks!

Your babies are adorable! I have 2 baby Mallards that look very similar to yours. They are running around and climbing all over me as I type.

I agree with everyone else: add old towels (make sure there are no loose treads for them to pull on and eat), a stuffed animal, a feather duster, and a mirror. They will need a larger brooder very soon. Plus, you'll want something that collects excess water from their water bowl (to keep things a bit drier and less icky smelling).

Good luck. People on this forum are so helpful and knowledgeable, I don't know what I'd do without them.

Amanda

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I will read those links in a few min.

I just put a small plate under the water bowl. Hopefully that will help with the mess. I really like the feeders, but noone sells them here :-(. I may order one offline because I cant run and get new water every 3 hrs for the guineas (if not more, because there are more of them).

By the way, these are rouen ducks. I wanted something that wont fly away if they got the urge. Prolly why they look alike :).

Back
Top Bottom