New here, Chicken lover (As pets of course, not food!) needing some help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenChicki, May 26, 2016.

1. ChickenChicki

ChickenChicki Just Hatched

May 26, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hey everyone, My name is Sammie. I LOVE chickens, and have been wanting to get one for a very long time to have as a house pet.

The time has come I'm able to get a baby chick and everything i need for it. only issues are 1. an old landlord said no to chickens. however this one would be indoors, and a hen, so they might not find out, and i plan to make it an ESA for me so that the landlord cant say no. before you get all on me about "faking it for an esa" i do have many mental illnesses, bi polar, depression,Asperger syndrome, and such like those. those i listed i have been diagnosed with, so i do qualify for an ESA. I know ESA can not go to stores and all that , and so only housing is affected, and that's fine, i know chickens make lovely house pets and can even be cuddles. I'm home most of the time so i be with it.

other issue is were not "zoned" to have them "outdoors" now my question is, it says we cant have poultry, rodents or such outdoors within 80 feet of any other houses, or have them in coups outdoors, or have a rooster that crows within 80 feet of another house or business. Now, if i have an Indoor chicken, and have it as an ESA.. can i still be forced to remove it? like government or whatever, can they tell me i cant have it indoors, even if its an esa? or is indoors not counted in the zoning?

I'm 23, I've been doing my research on chickens and all that, and I've always wanted one, now im able to but i am scared to get one and have to get rid of it (i wont, id rather be kicked out, were moving in 8 months but i saw some chicks today and omg i cant wait) (( i know i sound like a whiny spoiled child, i promise I'm not, I'm just, my mom finally said OK i can have one, and I'm paying with my own money now so I'm excited)

Any help is appreciated! id really like help, i cant buy the chick and all till June 3rd, but any help and advice is needed and appreciated! i really want a chicken!

Then- about me- I'm 23, I have a dog and a cat and I have always wanted a chicken. I have one friend who has a House rooster named Turtle (the Rooster not the friend) and she made me want them even more. My mom , who i live with has always said no to a chicken, But we have fostered parakeets, lovebirds, and cockatiels. I also have experience with guinea pigs, leopard geckos, rats, fish, mice, and hamsters. I volunteer with the humane society where i live as well.
    I do not have many friends, but i love animals, and honestly, who needs more then some great pets, and a good book?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. I'm sorry, i live in Kenya, so i am not in a position to offer any advice regarding your questions. I'm sure someone will be along who can help you out.

all the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  3. ChickenChicki

May 26, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    Someone i met at the dog park today said i could, as their sister has some. They just cant be outdoors if you live close to people, like kept outdoors, and as long as the neighbors dont mind. This next week ( i know its not a super long time) im going to go to the place im buying the chick at every day, 2 times and sit by the chicks and hold one to make sure im not allergic to them before i buy one, id hate to get one and have to return it because im allergic. so i will be sitting by them and trying to make sure im not allergic. (plus how can i stay away from cute little chicks!) I would still love any help! with all my questions!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I think what you need to do, first of all, is talk with your landlord about keeping a chicken as a house pet. There is a good thread on the topic here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens/0_30

I've kept "house chickens" in the past out of necessity (one special needs and some because of predator issues) and it can be manageable and not too messy.

Regarding the zoning and ordinances, go to the information desk at your local municipality and ask to speak to a person who is knowledgeable about the local laws regarding livestock. Find out if there is provision for special cases, poultry kept indoors, under exceptional circumstances, etc.

If there is potential problems with either landlord or laws, you say you're moving in 8 months? It may be worth waiting a bit and making 100% sure you would be able to keep a chicken or two, without the risk of possibly being forced to get rid of it? I know it's hard to be patient though!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. ChickenChicki

May 26, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    I went back to look at the chicks again today, a few had, what i think was-- pasty butt? it was big clumps of poo on their vents/butts. i told the guy and he got them all cleaned up , but i didnt know what it was and asked if they were sick, and he said maybe, he diddnt know. am i correct that it was pasty butt? or whatever its called? or was it something else? the chicks that had it didnt look sick otherwise (except the runt, he looked awful) im getting nervous, since ive never had a chicken. i just wanna be a good owner/ mom to it, and i always stress that i wont be, or ill do something wrong..

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That sounds like pasty butt, yes. Clean it up, give their bottoms a wipe with some vegetable oil to help prevent it recurring and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water (in a plastic waterer, not metal). It should clear up within a week or two.

9. ChickenChicki

May 26, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ
    I went in today again, and found some others that had it, one was the same from yesterday. i actually cleaned them up myself, supervised by a worker. it felt good cause i got to help. But now, well, they have some ducklings, and im wondering if i want a chicken or a duck? about 4 people at the store said duck, but i dunno. oppinions?

10. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by