New here, from Charlotte, Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BenBrown, Jun 20, 2011.

1. BenBrown

BenBrown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    [​IMG] I grew up on a farm, we had chickens we bought at the local feedstore, we raised them for meat and eggs for the table. In 2000 I encouraged friends to try to hatch their chickens and we learned a lot.

I live in the city at present and have no chickens or other poultry, but am thinking about it.

I found out about BYC desperately searching for information about squab and raising pigeons/alternative poultry in the city.

I started out college life a thousand years or more ago as an anthropologist ecologist religion major... After 30 years it appears that is still alot of what I am. I’m also a rabid organic gardener/agroecologist.

I live in a shared home w/a fellow gardener. We garden, selling produce within our community of friends and church. My only pets right now are composting worms. I’m a part time nurse aide hoping to become a nurse and get into hypertension and diabetes counseling. I really, really like electric cars, but may need to resort to bicycles before I get through with nursing training.

That's a bit about me...

(I'm looking forward to seeing what the city of Charlotte allows for urban poultry...)

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon!

3. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State [​IMG] Glad you came to join us!

4. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Hey [​IMG]
    [​IMG] all the way from Australia [​IMG]

I live in the middle of the city too. It's a great place to be, surrounded by large buildings and with shops five minutes down the road. I have been on vacation to small country towns a few times, but i couldn't really stand it out there. All the shops were closing way too early, it got so quiet at night, and there weren't really any lights for a long ways around in any direction [​IMG]

We got our chickens from the feed store too... they knew they were females, but had no idea on the breed. We just passed them off as sex-links [​IMG]

There's always a lot of gardening going around here. My father's transformed practically half the garden into an enormous veggie patch, and we regularly give away the crop to our friends. It gets tiring eating the cabbage day in and day out though! [​IMG]
    I don't think I could survive on a bicycle here. Everything is miles apart. We've got school, work, university, friends' houses... on a bicycle I would be out there all day [​IMG]

Good luck with the nursing. [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Wow, what great and varied interests. You'll love it here.

Imp

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

7. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join!

8. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    [​IMG]

9. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

10. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses