New Here from Clarksville TN

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jacksb1203, Feb 27, 2014.

1. jacksb1203

jacksb1203 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Clarksville
    Hello my name is Jackie. I live in Clarksville TN and would love to get some backyard chickens, but I am not sure that I can. From everything I have read we are not zoned right and the laws I am seeing say you can only have them in R-1,R-1A or E-1 and we are R-3. I am tempted to just risk it, I am not worried about our neighbors as they are constantly moving new people into the house next to us and they usually only stay a few months. Anybody else from Clarksville and found something that says we can get our chickens? Also what type of chickens are recommended for small children, I have a 3 year old? Thank you.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Jackie, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

That to so wonderful you are thinking of your children when acquiring new
    additions to the family and teaching your young ones about the wild life so
    good [​IMG]

Silkies are great for children and Easter Egger's another good chicken for
    the children but there are several chickens with a good disposition out there [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some of our flock ....
    The chickens are Easter Egger's .....

[​IMG]
    My three hens ....

[​IMG]
    More of my Easter Egger pullets .....

[​IMG]
    Feeding time at the zoo ......

[​IMG]
    a Pair of my Houdan's ......

There are many types of chickens on the market to choose
    from to meet your needs [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. jacksb1203

jacksb1203 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Clarksville
    I love your "Family"!!!! I think this will be an outstanding experience for my daughter! I am hoping if we can get them while they are young and small she will not be afraid of them when they get bigger and will want to help care for them. Thank you for your suggestions. I definitely have some more research to do!

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    from Washington state glad you joined us!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  6. jacksb1203

jacksb1203 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Clarksville
    I found a loop hole in the zoning laws that will allow us to have them! Our house is zoned for R-3 which was not listed on the zones that allow chickens, but when I looked up the zoning ordinance it says that R-3 can do anything that R-1-A does which allows chickens! I am so excited! I cant wait to start working on this project!

7. AtariSass

AtariSass New Egg

Feb 27, 2014
    I've always heard silkies were super sweet! I'm thinking of adding them to my flock this season. Easter Eggers are great for kids because they lay so many colorful eggs! Kids love em! [​IMG]

Of course it just really depends on your climate and everything too. If you have super cold winters like we do, you might want to double check that your breed is hardy enough to withstand it.

I hope they allow you to start a flock in your area and best of luck! [​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. jacksb1203

jacksb1203 New Egg

Feb 22, 2014
    Clarksville
    We have really warm humid summers and cooler winters but not a lot of snowaybe a dusting or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by