1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new here from columbia, tennessee

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by monita, Oct 7, 2009.

1. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    hi.... i am from middle tennessee and just started raising chicks this spring. started with 78 chicks and 16 guinea for the sole purpose of cutting back the tick population around my house. I fell in love with my babies while they were in the brooder. sadly my fairly large flock of poultry has been reduced to 3... due to crows and a fox. i have 1 RIR Roo 1 white leghorn hen and 1 b.b. red banty hen. my banty hen just started setting eggs and abandoned nest so now i am incubating 10 eggs for the first time in a home made incubator. thank you to every one here at BYC for providing so much helpful info. i have been on this website for 3 straight days...lol! i think now with the help of BYC my banty eggs may have a fighting chance! [​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Welcome Monita! Good luck to your banty eggs!

3. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Hi, Monita.... nice to find another Tennessean here. It's always sad to lose birds to the predators, but I guess it goes with the territory around here. We lost two hens and a rooster to what was probably a raccoon this past Julyst predator problem in 18 months. I wanted to replace the rooster but ended up getting two buff rock roosters from a guy in Pikeville; they were so pretty I couldn't resist. Then what I thought was a pullet that my broody hen had hatched turned out to be a rooster also. So now I have 3 roos and 7 hens and I'm getting about one egg every other day. Sometimes it just doesn't work! I've learned a lot from this website though and enjoy reading it daily. Good luck with your hatch!
    Sallyf

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Welcome!

My family lives in Columbia TN. [​IMG]

5. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] and happy hatching!

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] from WI

7. bibliophile birds

bibliophile birds Chillin' With My Peeps

hi there fellow Tennessean! i'm over in the mountains enjoying my first chicks, who are 8 days old!

hope you can fix your predator problem. good luck!

8. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    fixed part of the predator problem... hauled the neighbors dogs off and invested in a pellet rifle... now if i can just dispose of the fox and crows! thanks for the welcomes!!! [​IMG]

9. OutInTheStiks

OutInTheStiks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Thorn Hill, TN
    Welcome from an East Tennesseean!

10. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by