New here from Louisiana

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by corinetran, Oct 12, 2016.

1. corinetran

corinetran Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2016
    Louisiana
    Hi! I am new on here and somewhat new to raising chickens. I always had them growing up in Northern California but as a kid never really paid much attention to them. I finally was able to convince my mom to move to Louisiana (it only took having 3 kids!) and when she got here she said we need chickens! I thought she was crazy but we did it anyway and now I have backyard chickens.

We have 4 hens, Goldie (Cochin), Sweetie (barred rock, Floppy & Red (rhode island red). We have 4 pullets (americana), Brownie, Tiger, Bonnet & Fluffy. Well hopefully they are pullets! My friends think its funny that all the chickens have names (well of course they do!) and that I can tell them a part.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on getting your new chicken adventures started :clap
    You have some lovely breeds there and it's great that you have named them all. Wishing you the very best of luck for the future, be sure to ask any questions that you may have. Everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

3. corinetran

Oct 12, 2016
    Louisiana
    Thanks!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad you joined us, and I hope you will make yourself at home here! Have you checked out the Learning Center? It has amazing advice and tips on past and present threads: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. If you are not 100% sure what your genders of the new pullets are, you can post pictures of them on this page and get answers: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this. You can also find your state thread in this link, so you can chat with semi local fellow chicken lovers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have. It is a great place to be. :D

1 person likes this.
  5. corinetran

Oct 12, 2016
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all the helpful information and links!

6. corinetran

Oct 12, 2016
    Louisiana
    Actually my little ones are probably still considered chicks, not pullets. Shows how much I know! They are 10 weeks old. I was told they are all females, we'll see!

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Well, I start calling them pullets around 12 weeks. But hey, it does not really matter that much, they are all just different names for the same thing! If they are ten weeks old though, they are old enough that if you post pictures of them in the ''What breed or gender is this?'' page, you will get some answers. How old where they when you got them?

8. corinetran

Oct 12, 2016
    Louisiana
    My mom got them from the local feed store. They were very small, she thinks a week old? I was out of town and she had them when I came home.

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hahaha, don't you just love it when they buy things while you are gone??? It is always funny to come home to new chicks! Usually sexing chicks is 90-95% accurate, so you may or may not have ended up with a cockerel depending on how lucky you were.

10. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'm glad you decided to get chickens!! Aww, your flock sounds wonderful! Yes, my family and friends think I'm nuts when I say all 28 chickens have a name! And how I can tell them all apart. [​IMG]
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask or you can hop over to the Learning Center. 10 weeks is probably old enough to tell what gender your chicks are, if your not sure though just click on the https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this section.

I'm just repeating what @CuzChickens said so I'll just say have a great time on here! Enjoy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by