New here from MD

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by roady, Mar 3, 2013.

1. roady

roady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore MD
    Hello,

I am new here from the Eastern Shore of MD. Have been reading here for the last couple of months and decided on signing up today. I have agreed to get a some chickens for eggs and something for my daughter to do. She is 12 right now and is very excited to get them.

I am still undecided on the coop design right now and could probably use some suggestions. We have 10 acres of land and do have some predators around here. I have seen fox, racoons, skunks, and hawks. I would like to get around 5-8 hens and also would like to get a the same amount of guinea fowl. Can I keep them together in the same coop?

I will probably do something more permanent with a run so they have a place to move around while we are at work and school. But when we are home I would let them free range so we can keep an eye on them. Sometimes we are gone for long weekends can they take care of themselves for a weekend as long as we have the food and water situation figured out?

Thanks and I am sure there will be many more questions.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, roady, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! The great thing about coops is that no matter how elaborate or how simple, the chickens will appreciate it and never know the difference. I would only advise making it bigger than you think you need. You may want to add more some day. Coops are recommended to be 4 sq. ft/bird. I don't know what guineas require. I also don't know if guineas and chickens are good to raise together. You might post in the guinea thread below. Good luck to you!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]glad you decided to come aboard

4. belwelch

belwelch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Kentucky
    Welcome to BYC from Ky

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by