New here from SE Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mickle75, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Mickle75

Mickle75 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Hello! My name is Jonna and I'm a single mother of 2 boys ages 13 (going on 30) and 10 (acting his age). We live in southeast Texas in a gulf coast county. Our town is about 75 miles south of Houston...I have a small hobby "farm" on 10 acres. I currently have 5 chickens (1 Roo, 3 Game hens and 1 Red Sex Link hen), A jersey cow names Honey, a donkey named Genny (Genevieve), 2 dogs and 2 cats. I recently purchased 2 white pekin ducklings, a kacki Cambell and a Rouen duckling, 4 Australorp pullets and 3 Production Red pullets. (not having the greatest of luck with the pullets, though. I think we may have Marek's ): !!!) Anyhoo...Nice to meet all y'all!

2. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the problems you are having with the pullets, hope you are able to figure out what is going on. What do their droppings look like?... you might consider treating them for Coccidia anyhow, it is pretty common in chicks that age and they will get lethargic and not want to move.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! We would love to see pictures of your animals!!

1 person likes this.
  5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Jonna

Glad you could join the flock! I too have a son who is 13 going on 30!! I think it's when they get to that age. Sounds like you must be very busy there with all those animals to look after. Sorry to hear about your pullets, there are some great threads on mareks over in the emergencies section. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with them hope you can get them well soon. Enjoy BYC :frow

1 person likes this.
  6. Mickle75

Mickle75 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    I checked on my pullets at lunch...they were just hanging out...

Their droppings look normal to me. Nothing that would catch my attention. They will hobble over to the waterer and to the feed and then hobble back. The 3 will huddle together most of the time. I've spent my afternoon sifting through articles regarding these signs/symtoms...I'm looking at coccidia as well as Marek's.

7. Mickle75

Mickle75 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    It's pretty nasty around these parts with all the rain...Hopefully when it stops, I can snap some quick pics of all my babies... :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Jonna, have you posted in full detail at "Emergencies, diseases,injuries, cures," thread ? The more you can tell them the better the chances of them suggesting treatment/diagnosis. Hope your chicks will be okay.

9. Mickle75

Mickle75 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Yes...I sure did...Hopefully, someone can share their knowledge/experience.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by