New here! Hatching First Batch due Feb.14th.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daisychick, Feb 9, 2009.

1. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Just thought I would share. I am hatching or should I say trying to hatch my first eggs ever. I put 4 of my EE eggs in on Jan. 24th....so that would make them due on Feb. 14th.

I also am new to candling eggs and my DH made me the coolest candler that really works pretty good. We taped a piece of pipe smaller diameter than the egg to a shop light. It works great.

Granted I did not know that green eggs are like one of the hardest to see through...but I can see veins and the airspace and a big dark blob so I am hoping everything is good. I wish I could see movement but really hard to tell.

So I do have one question.....do I take them out of the turner on day 18??? Like the morning of day 18??? or ????

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I always wait til the evening day 18 to take the eggs out of the turner. Candle one last time and bump the humidity to the correct ranges. Remember your temps and humdity will go down when you take eggs out of the turners but should come back to normal in acouple hours or by the next morning.

Good luck on your hatching!!!

3. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Thank you! It sounds like there may be a lot of Valentine's babies around here! I hope I can be one of the proud mommas I have my fingers crossed!

4. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
  5. Queen Chika

Queen Chika Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2009
    Kiowa, CO
    are you using an incubator to hatch? i have never hatched, but would love to, i am just afraid i will become addicted to it and have a million chicks running around

6. chicken stalker

chicken stalker TOS Rocks!

Aug 31, 2008
    Binghamton, NY
    yes it is super addicting!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by