New here & have a question :)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HolyDuckBatman, Mar 29, 2017.

1. HolyDuckBatman

HolyDuckBatman Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    I am the proud mommy of 5 ducks. My first, that I got in 2013, is a Khaki named Ducklett. He was brought home by my son when he was with his dad one weekend & I got super attached to him, & that is what started the whole thing, lol.

He got lonely, so the following year, I bought two mallard hens. I didn't put them in with him until they were grown, but they all took to each other right away. Unfortunately, Gemma died :( So it was just him & Firequacker for awhile.

Boyfriend bought me Ms Frecklebeak, my Indian Runner. They did NOT take to her :( Ducklett would but Firequacker is extremely possessive over her Drake, which surprised me because she is a very sweet ducky.

I recently bought a pair of Khaki ducklings :) Do you guys have any tips on how to introduce them to Ms Frecklebeak, when the time comes ? I really want her to have some company too...and even though I tried everything with the others, I feel like I failed her when she was rejected :(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

2. Ashleymarie529

Ashleymarie529 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    When you're ready to introduce, put the babies in a see through dog crate (the metal wire ones) and let her see them for hours at a time. Then have supervised visits until you feel like they are okay with each other's existence. She is less likely to revolt if she is outnumbered, but introducing just one seems like it would be more difficult.

3. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX
    And Welcome to BYC!!!:)

4. HolyDuckBatman

HolyDuckBatman Just Hatched

Mar 29, 2017
    Thank you so much ! For the advice & for the welcome ! I will definitely try that. I feel so bad for her, she really wants some company :( And she is soooo broody, she always tries to lay on her eggs, I feel so bad for her. Hopefully this goes well so she has some pals :)

5. Ashleymarie529

Feb 17, 2017
    Katy (Houston), TX

Hope so too!! Ducks need ducky pals :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by