New Here - Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RBaggs, Feb 20, 2011.

1. RBaggs

RBaggs New Egg

Feb 20, 2011
    Hello all - it took 17 years of marriage and a mention on Oprah about the unhealthy aspects of combine eggs for my wife to agree for me to finally get some laying hens. I had been raised with animals and really wanted chickens. We have plenty of land and I built a large pen/coop (with the run of the yard during the day) and we started with 3 laying hens last year. A few months ago they were all wiped out by critters in the night. My kids were devastated as they had become pets, so over the holidays I bought 4 maran chicks. I was told they were black. Some day I'll figure out which are hens or roosters. It has been pretty cold this winter in Florida, so they have been in the garage in a pen with a warming light. It has warmed up and they are getting bigger. The pen has been fitted with more security and we should be better off this go around. Looking forward to the eggs and teaching the kids about raising chicks from an egg this time.

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    [​IMG]

3. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia, Ca and [​IMG]

4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Welcome from Missouri! [​IMG]

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

[​IMG] from Mississippi

6. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    Hey neighbor, where in Fla. are you?

7. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio [​IMG]

Sorry about the loss of those other hens. With a user name like mine, you might guess I hate predators. Well hate what they do anyway. Make your coop safe at night is sound advice, from someone who has had bad luck too with creatures of the night.

8. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

9. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! I started with chickens over the summer and the people of BYC have been great. Please visit my BYC Page for my blog links that you may find informative or amusing.

10. bkavprohnvn

bkavprohnvn New Egg

Feb 21, 2011
    Hello, I'm Lee from Korea. Nice to meet you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by