New here-I get my chicks tomorrow!

sasshell

Hatching
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
I am just so excited I can't stand it! I spent last week doing research on chickens and how I could keep them in the backyard. We live on an acre in a subdivision without a HOA and the town we live in considers chickens pet-so we are good to go as far as the local laws!

I went today and got the few supplies we need; a light for heat, a feeder and waterer (is that a word?)
hmm.png
and enough chick food for 6 chicks for 6 months.

I planned to leave with my chicks today, but it seems they hatched late Sunday and missed their flight so they should be here tomorrow. I had to laugh at that one.

I still don't know what I am doing, but I've wanted chickens in the backyard for years and finally decided after watching a Discovery Health show that I could do it! A woman who lives in Manhattan was raising chickens with way less space then we have, so I got my butt in gear and everything I've read says it's super easy.

I'm starting out with just enough chicks to keep my family and a couple of friends in fresh eggs. We are going to build a chicken tractor so they can be moved around the backyard but I'm having a hard time finding some basic plans to get started on that.

I look forward to sharing my new chicken ventures and coming to y'all when I've got questions-which I'm sure I will!

Shannon

Welcome!
big_smile.png

New chicks are so much fun! You'll have a blast watching them grow right before your eyes!
tongue.png

Do you have a brooder set up? They wont be quite ready to go outside for a few weeks yet, so you'll need a brooder of some form. We used a big cardboard box for our 27, and they had enough room to grow to 4 weeks in it before we had to move them to the coop.
wink.png
You can use an open topped box for the first week, but at about 2 weeks, they realize why God gave them wings, and you'll want a top on it to contain their excitement! You can use pine (NOT CEDAR!) shavings for bedding, just put paper towel over it for a few days until they learn whats food and whats not, or they'll fill up on the bedding.

For when they are older, you can find wonderful tractor designs right here in the Coop Design section. Some people here have some MIGHTY spoiled chickens!
wink.png

Again welcome to the forum, and good luck with your chickies!

Sooooo....have the babies arrived? Its always so exciting.

Also, welcome to BYC board! Lots of really smart people to help you along. I was clueless when I brought my first peepers home, and they survived hehe.

Good luck!
Shannon

Back
Top Bottom