1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new here i got a pet runner!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by oregon, Sep 11, 2011.

1. oregon

oregon New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    hey there, i rescued a runner about a year and a half ago and absolutely love him...we got him when a guy i work with bought him as a duckling and didnt know what to do with him...he had a pond at our house and i agreed to watch him until he was big enough to be on his own and fly, i didnt know anything about ducks, but soon found out he was a runner! fell in love with him, and have had him ever since. we are planning on getting more, not for farming or anything, just love the animals...anyway his name is oregon, here are some pics of him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is a video of his first time actually swimming..he was a little scared at first, i had to keep my hand in there so he felt safe, but he eventually had fun [​IMG]

[​IMG]

he loves being around both me and my girlfriend, he gets along with our dog which is a pit bull mix, and occasionally goes after his tail. hes not scared to chase after anything as long as their back is turned, he is mainly an inside duck but he does get to go outside everyday to swim and pick through the grass, he also loves showering me me, just hops right in!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    very cool!! do you use a diaper when he is inside? I never knew people had inside ducks until I got adictted to BYC! [​IMG]

3. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I almost forgot... [​IMG]

4. oregon

oregon New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    yes he wears a harness and diaper while inside, only about 8 hours a day, we take it off when its bed time when he goes to his own kennel for the night

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What a gorgeous boy!!!!
    [​IMG]

I have nine runners. They're all lovely, and have wonderful personalities. Glad you took this one in!

[​IMG]

6. oregon

oregon New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    i cant wait to get more, i do have one question, do they pant when they get hot? if hes out side with us and isnt in his pool he will occasionally pant...i take him back in and he stops, its the only thing he has done that has concerned me...i guess it just looks odd to me to see him pant

7. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    Boy are you in the right place - and your duck is gorgeous! They can pant when they are hot. I've never had an indoor duck but plenty of people on here have. My only advice would be if you get more than one or two at a time they won't be nearly as friendly. Once you've had them a while you can add more but if you get four little ones it'll be much harder to tame them.

Love your duck!

8. oregon

oregon New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    thanks for the info, we plan on getting one more duckling this coming spring, and then we will decide if we want more! I just want another duck to keep him company when we are not home

9. oregon

oregon New Egg

Sep 11, 2011
    added some more pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by