New here in North Carolina, would love some help getting started!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChantalHayes, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ChantalHayes

ChantalHayes New Egg

Feb 28, 2014
    I have always wanted to have chickens and am finally in a situation where it's possible! All I have so far is the desire and a membership to BYC. I have a 4 year old and a baby on the way, which is why it is VERY important to me to have FRIENDLY chickens, as we will keep them as pets (and eat their eggs, of course!) Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to spend less than $200 on a coop if possible, and want it to be easy to clean/feed/care for since I'll have my oldest daughter helping me. Any suggestions are very much appreciated! Thanks!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. Branch Chickens

Branch Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2014
    China, Maine
    [​IMG]
    I have 3 little ones, and we were looking for docile breeds. Our final choices are in my signature. [​IMG]

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! ChickenCanoe gave you two really good links, also check out the BYC Breeds section for member reviews on a lot of breeds. Nice, friendly breeds that are decent egg layers, Orpingtons are a lot of peoples first choice, Sussex, Wyandottes, Australorps and Plymouth Rocks are also popular. For breeds that don't lay as well but are really friendly, Cochins and Silkies are really popular as pets.
    For a coop, you might want to check out the BYC Coops section for ideas https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops and consider building your own or having one built for you, you can usually make a much better one than you can buy for the same price.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Yes, check out the links provided. Lots of good information there.

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

7. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG] and good luck! When it comes to coops and budget I say go for a shed and convert it into a chicken coop. Small premade coops are so crappy and not worth a penny. In my flock my barred rocks are the sweetest things.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Many have created coops using pallets. Do a forum search on 'Pallet Coops'.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Often you can find coops for sale along with a flock of chickens on Craig's list. People decide chickens aren't for them, or neighbors complain etc. etc.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by