New here, in Phila PA

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by dirtybug, Jun 20, 2008.

1. dirtybug

dirtybug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    Hi all,
    New to the forum, living in Philadelphia PA. I had some pet chickens when i was younger but had to give them up when I moved out of my parents place and have missed them ever since. Its now time for me to move again and I'm looking for suggestions of chicken friendly townships whithin an hour of Philadelphia. We've looked at a few homes near Perkasie Bucks county but the prices are way to high for what you get, we've also found a few nice homes near coatesville that would give us 1-2 acres for our $200k budget but found that the crime rate is very high and we found what appeared to be an inercity "ghetto" nieghborhood about a mile from the farm town we where looking at.
    Does anyone know of a nice ruralish town about an hour from philly that is affordable?

Dirty.

2. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    [​IMG]
    I live about an hours drive from Philly.

3. bwhite28

bwhite28 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    Southeastern PA
    I live in coatesville. Its not as bad as everyone says it is. The city may be a little beat up and have crimes, but think about it. What almost all cities have parts like that. I don't live directly in the city. I live several miles out in Brandywine township and its really nice here with lots of nice people and neighborhoods. Good luck with searching for a new home.

4. dirtybug

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    I have heard good things about brandywine twp, i need to do more research and find out about the schools.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I've heard good things about Phoenixville. Not sure how expensive it is. I live an hour and 20 min from Phila.

[​IMG]

6. dirtybug

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    Phoenixville is nice but its a bit pricey for us, we've been looking all over. Its tough to find homes that meet our needs but are still affordable.

7. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Hey Philly Friend!!I've lived in the city of brotherly love for 37 years!! But I have since moved to sunny Florida!! I could NEVER afford there what I was able to get here!
    Where are you from in Philly? I lived downtown for a while, just off of South Street. And also in north and northeast philly. Olney area. I also went to Olney HS.
    While living there I worked as a concierge at the Marriott Hotel in Center City.
    So I know the area AND outskirts pretty darn well.
    The only problem with PA, even if you CAN afford to buy a property worth having some chickens at, Is the darn taxes! They will get you every time!: somad Delaware might be something to think about. If you don't mind the drive everyday on I-95.
    I also lived in Stowe, which is just above Pottstown. There MIGHT be something worth looking at over in those areas. Again if you can handle the taxes.
    My brother in law still lives in Pottstown. He was able to buy a nice single home there. HE HASN"T LOST IT YET! [​IMG]
    Edited cause smiley didn't show!
    Oh yeah! My sis lived in Pheonixeville before coming to FL. IT is pretty expensive there now too! [​IMG] Did you know that the little movie theatre on Main street was used partly on the movie "The Blob" back in the fifties!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  8. dirtybug

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    I'm in Mayfair (northeast philly). grew up in Fox chase on the boarder to rockledge. as far as moving to Delaware I'm not too sure about that, I'm a self employed electrician and I dont know what the Licensing is like in Del. I'm also a daily practitioner of my 2nd amendment rights and I would have to check the laws down there to be sure delaware isn't a communist state like NJ. on the other hand my better half is a teacher in del co in Pa right near the DE border.

9. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    I think I remember Mayfair. Is that off 5 points? At Cottman and Rising Sun? I miss it there. [​IMG] ALL the best in thrift stores and second hand shops! Easy access for EVERYTHING! In fact I went to the Brazilian store up on Cottman for a while. Nothing like that out here. This is an undeveloped Lancaster WITHOUT the Amish! [​IMG] But I DO like raising my children here. For THAT reason alone. I won't come back! I REALLY don't like the Philadelphia school system. In fact my excuse for many "brain farts" is that I went to public school there! [​IMG]
    Not meant as an insult on people who actually like the schools there...but....

10. dirtybug

Jun 20, 2008
    Chester Co. PA
    5 points is closer to fox chase where i grew up, Mayfair is around cottman and frankford ave. Your right about the thrift store up there, lots of good deals. The Philly school dist is horrible, my father taught in it for 20 some years, My girlfriend refuses to teach there and currently drives about 45min down 95 to get to her school. I luckily was in private school for all but one year. The people my age (25) around here who went to public school are mostly wannabe thugs and gangstas.

Disclaimer:: I'm sure alot of very smart and succesful people have come from the phila school dist, I just haven't met any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by