New here & in the chicken world! (our brooder pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickaroos, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Chickaroos

Chickaroos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Hi everyone!
    My family recently got 6 baby chicks! I have wanted them for years now and just had the ability to finally have them join our family!
    My babies are just over a week old. They are starting to feather out on their wings!
    We started them in a plastic tub and I soon realized that they needed more room and since they;ll be in the house with us for a month or so, I built them a nice cozy fun brooder!
    [​IMG]
    (Dont worry I only turned off the heat lamp to take the pic ;) Thats my daughter (duh) and yes, dog toys in their for them to perch on.
    All are doing well, I had one get pasty butt, but after a good washing amd drying, she was back to normal and happy!
    Im working on building their coop and fencing off a large area for them in our acre of land in the backyard.

ANYWAY, we love our new chicks and will be sharing many more pics!!!!

2. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    What material did you use to make your brooder? Nice & big it is! Where do you keep it?

3. GIJANE

GIJANE New Egg

Mar 3, 2012
    That looks so great! I am also wondering what it is made out of. My husband and I are stopping by Tractor Supply tonight to pick up some new chicks and ducklings...Can't wait!

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Congratulations and welcome to BYC! You have done an excellent job on your brooder. You will have to start thinking about a top because they will start flying out, before you think they will.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  5. Chickaroos

Mar 6, 2012
    Thanks everyone!
    I grabbed some pretty thin wood board from lowes (IDK what to call it..lol) it was only around 5$ a piece. I got 6 pieces.
    The two I ran for the flooring, I topped with laminate stickable squares so urine and poopy wouldent seep in and ruin my hard work ;)

Right now I am keeping them in my spare room. I moved the bed out and all the other furniture. So it's just them and a heavy duty air purifier!

We have dogs so I always keep a baby gate in the door way and the door shut!

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Wow! Nice brooder :) And welcome! Your six have more room than my 11 :p [​IMG]

7. Chickaroos

Mar 6, 2012
    lol, im actually about to go get 6 more today ;)

8. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    We are usin an old chicken crate as our brooder but since we added 7 more chicks (for a total of 13) its gonna be too small soon. I may steal your playpen idea since we have one we arent usin. OPs brooder is huge. Her chicks must be livin the life of luxury with all that room lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by