New Here! Light Brahma Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 18Hens, Mar 2, 2012.

1. 18Hens

18Hens New Egg

Mar 2, 2012
    Hey all-

I have 18(dearly loved) hens that free range with my 16 guineas during the day and are locked up nice and safe at night. My 6 "old ladies" are just approaching their first birthday and my 12 "babies" who came to me as day olds around 9/10/11. Of the newbies there are 4 light brahmas, 2 brown leghorns, 3 RIRs, 3 black australorps. Out of this lot, the LBs are the first and only ones laying. I'm surprised since I have a RIR and BA already and they laid very early. All of my big girls have been laying right through the winter amazingly.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!! I will be around a lot. I feel like I've found my mothership.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Wow, lucky you. Usually brahmas are slow maturing. They are still young yet, they'll start up soon. Probably within the next few weeks.

3. chickathon

chickathon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    West Virginia
    My buff brahmas didn't start laying until early to late in their seventh month. I hope that helps. They will lay and watch out they were not laying long and got broody really easily.

4. JoieD

JoieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    My Light Brahma was the first in my flock to lay and did so at exactly 20 weeks. I was surprised because of all I have read here about them being late layers.

5. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    My LB are the youngest of my 14 hens, and were late layers, were 6 - 7 months old before I saw them start laying. Lena, who is on my avatar, is my nosiest hen. My hubby fusses at her, to just go in and lay the darn egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by