1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Here, Like Everyone Else

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WPFarmstead, Mar 9, 2016.

1. WPFarmstead

WPFarmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    North Idaho
    Hi ya'll,

I'm new here, obviously. I run a small farmstead (Whispering Pines Farmstead) in North Idaho, with my husband's financial support haha. I've had poultry for a few years, now. We started with ducks, as my husband was adamant that he didn't want chickens. Now, we currently own 2 Welsh Harlequin hens, 2 Welsh Harlequin/Khaki Campbell hens, 1 Welsh/Khaki drake and 1 Muscovy hen. We also have 1 Red Broiler rooster, 1 retired Rhode Island hen who still insists on laying everyday even at 4 years old, 1 retired Americauna who takes that title seriously and lays once or twice a week normally, 3 Golden Sex-Link hens, 1 Silky hen, 1 Mutt hen (bantam rooster over one of my hens), and 1 silkie rooster...for now. Oh, and can't forget the trio of silkie and silkie crosses that are in the brooder in the garage. And lastly, the geese. We have a sweetheart Tolouse goose and a trio of Chinese geese, of which we have at least one, if not two ganders.

I've been lurking here and there and finally had to join here, because in addition to running our incubator like crazy (it has serama and silky eggs in it and muscovy and eggs from my Welshie flock in the spare incubator), we are adding two Hatchery Suprises from Cackle, along with 5 Cayuga ducks in 5 days. Then, in another month, we will be getting 5 Blue Slate Turkeys, also from Cackle. So, I'm gonna be using the forum to hopefully help identify the breeds we get so we can decide who stays and who goes. We are super excited for the new birds and we are also buying a couple of started Turkens from a friend who has the nicest birds I've ever met.

Running our farmstead is my biggest hobby and job, but I also love spending time with my husband, especially out on the gun range and in the kitchen. I love to bake and he loves to cook, which after 10 years together, I'm finally starting to get the hang of. We've been married for 5 years and are high school sweethearts, as cliche as that sounds. We also have 3 mostly indoor cats, which don't get along at all, of course. Anyway, I can't wait to jump in on a few posts here and learn from those who've been doing this way longer than me. Oh, and if anyone reading this has suggestions on which would be better, a llama or a donkey to protect against loose dogs breaching our fences, I'd love to hear them.

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. You sound like you have quite a menagerie of animals at your farm which sounds great (alas, I'm confined to the city of Nairobi so i have very little space). I like the sound of your planning with your incubator - its good to have something else in the pipeline.

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread).

All the best
    CT

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

What a nice introduction, I enjoyed reading about your animals!

I see where you like to bake...come on over to our home baker's thread sometime and join us. The link is in my signature line at the bottom of this post.

Make yourself at home here, it's nice to have you here!

4. WPFarmstead

WPFarmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    North Idaho
    I actually live in town, too. We just happen to have several acres inside city limits. Thanks for the link to the state threads. I've already jumped in on my state.

And I'll have to check out the baking thread. I don't name nearly as much, anymore, as I need to lose weight, but maybe I'll just have to live vicariously through ya'll.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at BYC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by