New Here, Long Island NY

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicken8442, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Chicken8442

Chicken8442 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Hello, Imvery new to chickens, I don't even have any yet but I plan to very soon. I found the coop I want to build and read up on how to rear chicks, all I need is feed, food/water dishes heatlamp and to finish the coop before june.

oh and I also need chickens lol. As I look around on the web I am slowly seeing this is going to be an issue since theres no way I can order 15-25 chicks. I want to start off with 4 and really dont have the room for any more than that. Does anyone familiar with long island know where I can pick up some nice chicks and cheap feed?

Thanks

2. peepsnbunnies

peepsnbunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    Central Florida
    First of all - [​IMG]

Try looking in the yellow pages under 'Animal Supply' or something similar, if that does not work, try calling the SPCA or Humane Society and ask if they know where a feed store is.

Lisa

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN. I agree with trying to find a local feed store. and you can order aas little as 3 chicks from www.mypetchicken.com

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

6. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

7. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

8. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    [​IMG] We are on LI as well.... FYI some people on LI will look at you funny when you thell them you have chickens... This forum is great!!! You will learn so much and the people are great!! [​IMG] There are plenty of plaes to get feed around... Where abouts are ya? If you are in Suffolk there's a feed store on 112, Agway sells feed and chicks in the spring, and my local pet store sells feed as well.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:I am in westchester and have a long list of chicks that I am selling, at the moment I have ee, bantam ee, mixed, golden commetts, and will have barred rock and more Americanas/ee, and some silkies next week.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  10. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Ahappychick, will you have any Sebrights? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by