new here looking for silkie advise

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by birdbaby213, Mar 15, 2013.

1. birdbaby213

birdbaby213 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    ashford ct
    Hello , i have only owned chickens for a few years in my adult life, silkies and polish crested have always been my favorites but i only just got my self my first[​IMG][/IMG]/www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5588139/width/200/height/400[/IMG] silkie trio that has turned out to be all roos . So i am rehoming them and hatching beardeds . One question i have is is there any reson for me too keep a non beared roo in my flock. I have done tons of reading of threads on this page and many other sights as well and one thing i know is silkies have black skin , well my black one doesn't and idk but there is just something different about him , i wonder if he has some creasted or something in there and if so what .i do not intend on showing but would love to come up with interesting looking babies , so should i keep him ? i would love input from people with real experience .

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]if you are just breeding for pets or for yourself I don't see a problem. Otherwise people may not be interested in buying the ofspring. Silkies are hard to sex - some breeders will not offer them till 4-5 mos. if they are confident of what sex they have to sell.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, birdbaby213, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I know nothing about the topic you posted so I'll just say best wishes and have fun!!

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you don't intend to show, why not keep him? He's a beauty - welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by