New Here, love the site, lots of ? from me to come =]

cluckiest

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 26, 2011
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am fairly new to chickens. We had about 7 hens and 1 rooster 17 years ago but coyotes put an end to that and that was before computers and we dont have much family so information we had was very limited. About 2 weeks ago our dogs killed 2 of our 3 new pullets (my fav. and my hubbys fav.) We had them in a nice but small temp. coop and my husbands uncle that we took in after a stoke was not quick to close the door before we had excapees. I myself do let them out but, I'm the alpha wolf and those dogs are good little angels when i'm around. We didnt throw in the towel! We just waited to buy more when the coop was enclosed and nearly done. We still have some work to do on it.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

At the moment we have a small mixed flock of 6 pullets.

(3) What breeds do you have?

1 black jesey giant named big momma, she is the one that didnt come out with the other two that the dogs killed and compared to those two she looked huge;
1 silvered laced wyandotte we named soup, she is a loud mouth and we live in town and dont want to disturb our neighbors.We are giving her some time to settle down and get comfy
1 buff orphington not named yet
1 ameraucana not named yet
1 rumpless araucana not named yet
and
1 blue maran not named yet either
would like to get a deleware

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

looking for answers to my many questions and just love the site.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

this is one of the first hobby that I have gotten into since i started feeling better. i also have rabbits that we are trying to breed. Used to love gardening, crafts, sewing, working on old furniture I was handy to have around.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm 42. Me and husband have been married 22 years. We have 3 children ages 10 19 & 21. We have 6 dogs, 3 cats, 7 rabbits, and 6 hens. I myself dont work i have had chronic pain for many years due to an accident i was in as a teen, broke the windshield with my head. I was ok until my early adult life when i started to have back pain. The last 4 years I have had very bad pain. diagnose with degenerative disk disease (bone on bone in some places), had 2 herniated disks in mid upper back not very common. I also have chronic hip pain. Not much they can do for me so I have been of heavy does of medications for almost 4 years. I also got to the point that I was not getting out of the bed but once a month. I had testing done and found out I had thyroid problems and that i was post menopause. And i darn well know that I was depressed. Really not sure what it was that keep me in the bed or if it was a combination of all that. I thank God that I have been feeling somewhat better these past few months and so happy to be doing something that me and the family will enjoy. We have had 3 eggs so far and I leave them for my 10 year old to discover. He absolutly loves having the chickens. I hope that was not to much information Lol. Getting these chickens and helping with the coop (mostly my ideas husband is just the muscle) has done some good to my soul. I can't wait to get enough eggs to share with my neighbors. I have not gotten to know them I think this will be a great way to meet them =]

Welcome
frow.gif

I'm new too, and enjoy the BYC. I had a chicken for 10 and a half years so so sweet and friendly, she been gone serveral years and decieded to get another one, plus a duck and they don't stay in their coop. I brought them ( actuly they walked in,raised in the house:) just awhile ago. the duck was soaked and the chicken dry. go figured, got me confused. new at the pc too, and I'm luving it. my age is 59, have 5 kids 2 grown and adopted 3 siblings, one is half brother to my growns ones. we became a family 8-08-08 this is what God wanted. they are 15, 9 and 6 they love their pets. the six year oid carries the duck and she loves her back. see you on line.

Hello and welcome to BYC from Ohio!

I think you'll find that chickens are thery theraputic! (I have no idea if I spelled that right! LOL)

Take care, glad you're feeling better,

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom