New here ... my baby chick got cold :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by melda, Dec 17, 2007.

1. melda

melda New Egg

Dec 17, 2007
    My baby chicken was in the garage last night and the bulb burned out and one of my chicks got super cold. She is still alive but has her eyes shut and very cold. I live in FL and the temp went down to 38 last night. I have her wrapped in a wool blanket trying to warm her up right now ... Has anyone had a chick pull through several hours of being cold? Is there anything I need to do for her that may help ??? right now she is very still with her eyes shut ...

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. Hi! How old is it? I would get it near a heat source (under a heat lamp) and offer it warm water, maybe with Vitamins & Electrolytes.
    Good luck with the chick!
    Lisa

3. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    you need to give her a heat source.

4. GloriaH

GloriaH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Watertown, Tennessee
    I've had them pull through once they get warm again.

5. melda

melda New Egg

Dec 17, 2007
    She is probably 6 weeks old.

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Maybe you can make some warm oatmeal...and offer her some warm sugar water if you dont have the electrolytes. Also....a hair dryer, on LOW..will help bring her body temp back up. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Oh, and Welcome to the BYC [​IMG]

7. melda

melda New Egg

Dec 17, 2007
    well her eyes are opening up now. I put her under the heat lamp and she seems to be moving more also.

8. LUVMYCHICKS

LUVMYCHICKS Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2007
    Baton Rouge. LA
    [​IMG] How is the chick doing now?
    Did it have a heat source other than the lamp. we usually have a heating pad for our chicks from the time born until they no longer seem to need it. It was pretty cold here too last night. All of our little ones are with us here in the house now. Sometimes that's hard to do if you have lots of them.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  9. That's great, Melda!
    I hope by tomorrow she's back to her perky self [​IMG]

I was just on the phone with a friend up the road. She has 100 or so chicks outside under lights and the breakers keep tripping and leaving the chicks in the cold and dark (it's going down in the teens possibly tonight).

I should mention I lost 20+ chicks night before last because of almost the same thing [​IMG]
    In addition to losing their light / heat source, my chicks got drenched in a sudden windy cold thunderstorm (blew open the door on their brooder-house and shorted out their light).
    The ones that didn't pile and suffocate are doing good.
    I did get the survivors in a dry house and sit down there with a blow-dryer to warm them back up.

Having chicks this time of year can be a risky thing.
    Good luck!
    Lisa

10. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Sounds like she'll make it! I wish her well. I have mine in the only heated room in the house! (which also happens to be my bedroom [​IMG]) Mine are very spoiled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by