New here, new to chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pcsd722, May 5, 2008.

1. pcsd722

pcsd722 New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Hello;
    My parents and Grandparents always raised chickens but I never did. My little girl is 8 and is wanting to get some chickens for eggs that we can eat and eggs that she can sell. There are a lot of people around ehre where we live that would love to buy eggs. I told her that I would start looking around and see what I can find.

What I would like to do is to buy chickens that are already laying instead of chicks to raise. My two main questions are what kind and where to find them.

Any help for us is appreciated greatly.

Kevin and Autumn

2. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    We need a little more information.

Where are you located?
    Do you want standard breeds (large eggs) or bantams (small eggs)?

Dorothy

3. pcsd722

pcsd722 New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Sorry for being brief the first post. I am in West Virginia, south east part right on the Virginia line. We would want large hens instead of the small ones. Maybe a dual purpose chicken, egss and eating (maybe) at some time.

Thanks
    Kevin

4. pcsd722

pcsd722 New Egg

May 5, 2008
    Large eggs I meant to say.

5. annrich

annrich Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Western NY
    [​IMG]

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    You could post an ad at your local feed store or just ask them as I am sure they will know all their chicken customers. You could also do an ad on www.craigslist.org Many people will post poultry and livestock under the farm and garden section. There are also members on here from West Virginia so maybe they can help you also! Good Luck. Your daughter is going to love them and it will be a good thing for her.

7. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Ohhhh I forgot kinds. Large hardy Standard breeds good for eggs....Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, White Rocks, Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, any kind of sex links, Orpingtons, Wyondottes, Leghorns (but I find them to flighty for my liking) and that is a start. Even Standard size mix breeds make nice birds and lay good eggs. I know once I push submit I will think of a bunch more.

8. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Leghorns & some others fly over fences & generally get out. They come home, but if you are in close quarters with neighbors, they might not like that.

I personally am sold on Buff Orpingtons. The research I've done (still waiting on my birds to arrive) says they are extremely friendly and easy going & quiet. Plus they are heavy birds that don't fly much & the are well feathered so the lay eggs through the winter (big deal in Illinois). The down side is not many people want to part with these birds as adults.

Also, you need enough birds to get eggs to sell. Today I have 2 barred rock hens & 1 frizzle banty. We get between 1 & 3 eggs per day. We barely have enough to use ourselves, let alone enough to sell. I have 12 Buff's ordered & should get them in the next two weeks or so.

Figure on 1 egg per young bird per day. The older the bird the less eggs she will lay. Maybe 1 every other day.

Finally - where to get them. I found my first birds in the paper. The rest I found right here in the for sale section.

Good luck! They sure are a lot of fun.

9. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Check with your local southern states the ones around here sell 18 week old pullets for $6. I think they are red sexlinks. You're not too far from me so hopefully it'll be the same where you're at.

Oh and as far as breeds I have to get a plug in for Delawares. In my opinion they're the best breed around. But then again I may be just a tad biased. lol

10. pcsd722

pcsd722 New Egg

May 5, 2008
    At what age will they begin to lay? I am thinking of 24 chickens, for some reason that stands out in My mind as the number my grandma had, not that that means anything just an odd memory in my mind.

Kevin - Autumn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by