New Here-Question about mixing flocks of laying hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kristidyson, Jan 31, 2017.

1. kristidyson

kristidyson Just Hatched

Jan 26, 2017
    Dayton(near Houston, TX)
    Hi everyone. My son is the actual chicken person but he went off to college, so I inherited the current flock of 10. These are Production Reds that we got from the feed store...already laying. Last week, they got a new shipment of Production Reds (same age/color/everything) in and they were already laying...in fact there was one egg in the kennel on the way home, then I got 3 more that day randomly in the temporary fenced in area beside the current fenced area. They are already roosting together nicely in the coop/hen house. I usually let the old ones out every morning around daylight into the fenced in area. I finally got them to where the first flock lay their eggs before 10:30ish, then I let them out into the yard. Without fail, they find their way into the hen house to roost, I close up shop until the next morning, ba-da-bing-ba-da-boom. My issue: I'm not getting the quantity of eggs I should be getting. All 10 old hens were laying 10/day before mixing. Now I've been getting 11/day. I'm in SE Texas where the weather is mild. Thanks for any input.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Stress, such as the introduction of strange birds, often disrupts production for a period of time. It can take a few weeks for their systems to recompose themselves and start back up.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I concur with Ol Grey Mare - they should get used to the new arrivals and get back on their laying schedule soon. Best of luck to you!! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    those are major stressors for chickens. Moving to a new home, strange flock etc. etc. When they feel secure, they will begin laying. The eggs you found in kennel, or soon after were already in the "egg pipeline," before moving to your place.

1 person likes this.
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I agree with drumstick diva's comments regarding stress and eggs already in the making...give them time to adjust and egg production should pick up, especially as daylight hours are increasing.

Best of luck to you and thanks for joining!

7. kristidyson

kristidyson Just Hatched

Jan 26, 2017
    Dayton(near Houston, TX)
    Thanks everyone for the advice. When I checked around 5pm there were 15 eggs! Only 3 didn't lay an egg. I'm thinking not all were "laying" in actuality before I purchased them. We shall see. But, I still see some separation in the run area. Each flock sticks together separately in the run. I am also about to rearrange the hen house/coop/or whatever it's called.

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Kristi [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice, I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. kristidyson

kristidyson Just Hatched

Jan 26, 2017
    Dayton(near Houston, TX)
    Thanks Teila! Greetings from Southeast Texas (Houston area). It's very mild temps here. Feels almost springlike today.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by