New Here-- question about turning?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cozycritters, Mar 4, 2008.

1. cozycritters

cozycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Hi-- I'm very new to all of this-- my incubator is on its way here right now, and I've been doing my homework, but I'm confused about one thing... turning!

Do you lay the egg on its side and literally turn in onto it's other side as I've seen, or do you place it pointy side up and just shift a little which direction it is...

I appreciate the help. I know I'm in over my head, so I'm trying hard not to care too much what happens for my first hatch!

2. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    I put an X on one side and an O on the other and completly roll them... I don't know about everybody else. I now have a turner so I don't have to mess with that anymore.

3. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Just wanted to say Hi and welcome!!

4. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    OK, that's good to know. I saw a site somewhere that said it was just a 90 degree shift from one side to the other, with the point facing up... and I'm too green to know!

Did everyone here have chickens/birds before trying to hatch?

5. newnanchic

newnanchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Newnan, Georgia
    yes we had bought hens and then a roo before we hatched any of our own. what are you going to hatch??

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Pointy top should be down, rounded bottom up (this is where the air cell generally is). Unless you're laying them on their side and then you don't have to worry about that. [​IMG]

7. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    A mix of this and that. I've got twelve random chicken eggs coming in the mail.

I'm in AZ so I'm a little curious to see if the drier air here poses a problem for humidity in the incubator...

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The novelty of hand turning will wear off. LOL

You can hatch just fine with out a turner but if you get a chance to buy one I recommend that you do. LOL

9. cozycritters

Mar 4, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    OK, I went online and bought one... Dh is going to KILL me! LOL! Oh, well, I just used my "allowance" for my business on this...

I'm addicted already and have nothing yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by