New here =) Question: What is considered "proper" disposal of waste?

MrsSteele

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 10, 2013
Hello, i live in Columbus, OH and i am currently in the process of trying to get chickens =) ... I have a few questions, does anyone in columbus who had done the permit know if u have to have 5 acres? and also they said u have to know how to "properly" dispose of the waste... They also state its illegal to compost in city limits, and i dont think they would go for burning it either. Aside from just bagging it up and throwing it in my trash can i dont know what they want from me?! Help!?

I am surprised that composting is not allowed!
he.gif
Does not make sense! Composted chicken waste is great for the garden. I would state on the application: "Chicken waste will be disposed of via an off site waste disposal vendor". Chicken compost is not smelly and certainly you have a right to have a compost pile or bin (even if your local government can stipulate what goes in it). Whether or not you decide to add chicken poop to your compost or bag it in the trash is up to your comfort level.

Last edited:
Easy way around that is using the deep litter method. By the time you take the litter out of the coop, it's ready to go directly into your garden. No muss, no fuss. Just till it in.

Back
Top Bottom