New Here - Sick Chicken :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kr408, May 13, 2011.

1. kr408

kr408 New Egg

May 13, 2011
    Hi,

I'm new to the group, and grateful to have found it! I hope that I'm posting in the correct place.

I have four dogs and two chickens. They're all rescued animals. I didn't intend on keeping chickens, but they came to me a couple of years ago, and I fell in love! I have a small bantam white hen, and a large silly looking brown one. I am learning as I go, so please forgive me for not knowing what kind of hens they are.

The brown hen, whose name is Bossy, has always been extremely dominant, friendly, and silly. The white one, whose name is Saucy, has always been the more submissive and shy one.

We were living in an idyllic home in San Jose, CA. The chickens were healthy and thriving. The soil seemed to be perfect for dust baths, and the backyard was chicken & canine paradise. They roamed freely, and then went to sleep in their coop at night.

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen events, I had to move to Morgan Hill, CA. in March. The chickens seemed to adjust fairly well in the beginning. After about a month, Bossy started acting sick. She has been having diarrhea, and she isn't herself at all. I've been cleaning her vent regularly. She is lethargic, depressed, and silent. I'm accustomed to her crowing loudly early in the morning, but all of that has completely stopped. She also hasn't laid a single egg since we moved (she was laying regularly prior to our move).

Her water is treated with vitamins and electrolytes. I've been giving her yogurt and feeding her laying crumbles with very little scratch. The soil at the Morgan Hill house isn't very good, so I created a dust bath using food grate diatomaceous earth, play sand, and potting soil. She doesn't seem to want to take dust baths anymore. She stands around looking unhappy, and then goes back into her coop.

She doesn't have worms. She doesn't have blood in her stool. Her comb is red and her eyes are bright. She doesn't seem to have any respiratory issues. Saucy looks as healthy and energetic as ever -- whatever this is seems to only be affecting Bossy.

One last detail: one of the times that I tried to clean Bossy's diarrhea-encrusted tail feathers, I was holding her with my left arm around her body. Her head was under my elbow, and her butt was accessible to my right hand. I was gently trying to loosen the crusted up diarrhea from her tail feathers using a warm wet cloth. She struggled, so I tightened my arm around her. She suddenly went completely limp so I panicked and set her down on the ground. Her comb turned a dark purplish color, she was hardly breathing, and she was lying on the ground. I was certain that she was dying! I was crying and panicking, and I picked her up and set her down on her feet in front of her food and water. She slowly opened her eyes, her comb turned red again, and she started eating right away.

I thought I'd mention this detail in case it means anything to the big picture of her illness.

I'm so worried. Any ideas about what this could be? Any ideas and help are greatly appreciated!!

Thank you so much!

Kavita

2. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine i am sure someone here will be able to help, sorry to here about your chicken

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    How do you know she doesn't have worms? Something is causing her to have diarrhea. Did she have a change in diet or get into something toxic? Just trying to think of possibilities . Hope she feels better.

4. Jessie66

Jessie66 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    Prince George, BC
    Does she sit in her nesting box alot? Maybe she has gone broody? I thought for sure my chicken was dying the first time she went broody (wanting to hatch eggs). They definitely act different and stop laying. Mine sat on her invisible eggs for quite a while before she snapped out of it and started acting normal again. Just a thought. I hope it is nothing serious. Oh yeah...welcome to the forum, I am new too [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Lice/mites, worms. Visually inspect them for lice or mites. Take a fecal sample to a vet and have them look for worms/cocci. Shouldnt cost much.

6. scottfarm

scottfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    MILL CREEK, WV
    WELCOME TO [​IMG] ,
    SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOU SICK GIRL..
    TRY POSTING YOUR QUESTION ON THE SICK, EMERGENCY QUESTION AREA.. MORE PEOPLE WILL SEE IT THERE..AND YOU WILL GET MORE AWNSERS THERE TOO I BET..
    GOOD LUCK TONYA

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Sorry about your girl. I would take a fecal sample into a vet. You might want to try putting some unfiltered apple cidar vinegar in her water (1-2 Tbsp per 1 gallon of water). It can help clear up crusted poop. Just make sure not to put it in a metal waterer. Here's a link to the infamous poop page: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0 Hope this helps & good luck with her [​IMG]

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Were they chicks when you got them or older birds? A hens production of eggs decline as they age. Could she have possibly eaten something? She may just be depressed about the move. New coop and nest boxes. She just may need some time. I hope she gets better. [​IMG]

9. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    Uh oh why not a metal waterer?
    Quote:

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:
    The acid in the vinegar does something to the metal!!

[​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana. Sorry your girls sick! Hope you get to the bottom of it!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by