1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New here & to chickies, questions - New Pics, roos?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SlowHorse, Jun 11, 2007.

1. SlowHorse

SlowHorse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2007
    Hello all,

I've been reading here for the last six weeks or so, and just decided to take the plunge and say hello. So, hello! I just got into chickies recently. I rent a barn and pasture for my horses from a sweet 70 year old lady who used to have chickens but couldn't keep up with their care anymore so gave them all away a few years ago. Since I am there 2x daily, I offered to help her if she wanted to get some again and she had a lovely huge coop just sitting there. I was thinking maybe 8 or 10. She mail ordered and wanted 25 and I thought oh my, but oh well - she was so happy that she was getting her "last chance" to have chickies. The day she ordered, she told me that the chickies would be here in three days, and that she went ahead and got FIFTY since she'd have help. FIFTY CHICKIES!! So, here we are six weeks later with 49 hens and one supposed rooster (I have my doubts about that!) Oh well, what the heck, right?

I've discovered that chickens are like crack - just can't get enough of them! They are so fun to watch, and so silly, and I'm just having a great time with them. I've been reading and absorbing as much information as possible, and your website and forum here are WONDERFUL resources. I'm so glad I found them!

The chickies arrived on May 3, so that should make them almost six weeks old. She ordered hens and said to mix the breeds, but can't remember what they told her - we don't really care, but out of curiosity any guesses? I'm guessing the whites are Brahma? The rooster is definitely Rhode Island Red (she asked specifically for him). I'm not entirely convinced he's a rooster however. Some of the 'girls' have much bigger combs than he, but they are all different breeds so who knows. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose? I also understand that the sexing isn't always all that accurate, so I'm dying to see what we really have. Any good tips for spotting the boys?

The photos aren't the best, just as I got the timing/settings down my batteries died. [​IMG]

Any breed guesses?

FIFTY chickies, a few white, a few brown and the rest all black.
    [​IMG]

The white ones, the least afraid of the camera:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brown ones, smaller than the others with a lovely reddish hue
    [​IMG]

The supposed rooster, The Colonel:
    [​IMG]

And one of the black ones, I really suspect these are mutts (however, I have NO experience and next to no knowledge of breeds). Some of them have little bits of white at their throat, some have just a few gold feathers around their chest, some have LOTS of gold at their chest, like a robin. All are starting to get blueish colored feathers toward their rears. Some have green legs, some have mixed color legs, and some have green legs with one or two yellow toes, some green on top and yellow on the bottom. Some have grey/black combs, most are yellow just starting to get hints of red.
    [​IMG]

I'd love any input, and could get more pictures later - maybe close ups of the few I suspect might be roos. I just love your forum, and hope to become a participant.

BTW, here's one of my horses, in case anyone likes those as well. He's an ex-racing thoroughbred, soon to be chickie companion!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Had to laugh about chickens being like crack [​IMG] I am of no help in identifying as I am quite new myself........ quite a flock you have there......... your horse is beautiful......lovely pics [​IMG]

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG] Welcome! I can't help you with your breeds although I would guess lt. brahmas myself on the white ones. They are so pretty and love the horse!

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
  5. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Light Brahmas, Partridge Rocks, Rhode Island Red and Black Sex link. Cute birds and Beautiful horse! [​IMG]

6. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

White w/ black neck = Light Brahma (brown eggs)
    Smaller browns = Brown Leghorn or possibly Partridge Rock, but they look a bit small for Rocks (white eggs)
    Red = Rhode Island Red (brown eggs) btw, nothing about "him" screams roo to me right now, but you should know for sure in another week or two.
    Blacks = Black Sex-link pullet (the result of a Barred Rock hen crossed with a Production Red male, they are brown egg-laying machines!)

Some of the black ones may also be Australorps, another nice brown egg layer.

Looks like you have your extra work cut out for you! Have fun with all those chickies and be sure to post lots of pics (like that coop you mentioned, hint-hint [​IMG] )!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  7. missusduray

missusduray Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Northern Minnesota
    The white ones are Light Brahmas, The next ones are Partridge rocks, the "roo" is a RIR, and I am not sure on the black ones. I also dont see anything that screams ROO about the RIR. Sorry. Partridge rocks also lay brown eggs according to Murray Mcmurray hatchery. Congrats and Cheers to you on making an old lady happy.
    Kristyne

8. SlowHorse

SlowHorse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2007
    Thanks so much for all of the responses! Now I can act like I know what I'm talking about. [​IMG]

Here are a couple more photos from this morning, of the suspected roos. There are one or two black ones that I had suspected as well, but if they are sex linked, then it sounds like they should all be pullets, right?

This is the Brahma that I suspect as a roo. All of them have much more red in their combs and waddles than the other breeds, but this one seems to have a much thicker comb right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the one that was supposed to be a roo in the order - "and one red rooster please". I have no other RIR to compare "him" to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And one of the brown ones that I suspect, a little thicker more prominent than the others on the waddles, it seems. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is it normal to be obsessed with Who Is A Roo? [​IMG]

As for the coop, I'll try to take some photos this evening. It's not really a "coop", but one third of an old cattle barn. The area is very secure and approximately 30 x 15. We have roosts EVERYWHERE, little stair step ones for right now so they can get up very high and they love them. There are 8-10 (haven't counted) very good sized nesting boxes with a little plank leading up. There is a small fenced area just outside their door, and when they get a little bigger, they'll free range during the day (12 acres).

My goodness, what ARE we going to do with all the eggs? [​IMG]

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Totally! [​IMG]

10. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    we have a road island red rooster who is 6 weeks old today and for what its worth ( im sure there is variation between individual birds), your "boy" doesnt really look like ours. Fuzzy ( my son named the rooster) has a deep red comb which I would say is maybe 4times the size of the one on your lil guy/gal. He is also noticably more aggressive than the girls...he herds them around etc. No crowing yet but i guess my neighbours are probably happy bout that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by