New here with 8 three week old chickies! Hello!

HarlequinOkikai

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2018
Hey there,
New here and happy to be connected!

Last Wednesday we brought home 8 chicks from our local feed store. We estimate they are about three weeks due to their wing/shoulder feathers coming through.

I am new to chicks, but have had adopted hens before. Unfortunately last winter we lost our flock to a raccoon and have had a hard time recovering from the carnage. But having learned a hard lesson we decided to rebuild and start again with chicks this time. More then anything I want a tame flock and will put in the time with these chick to make that happen. Any suggestions are welcome!

G'Day from down under HarlequinOkikai :frowWelcome!

Chicken Sympathy.jpg

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. This one may be of particular interest:
Topic of the Week - Raising People Friendly Poultry

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

:welcome

So sorry to hear about your loss, I hope things go better this time around!

Howdy:frow Sorry to hear about your losses. I dispise raccons. You have some good links to "Predator proofing" your coop/run. Best wishes for your new chicks.

Hello and WELCOME to BYC!!! :D :welcome

I'm sorry to hear about your hens, but everyone goes through the loss one one of their flock members, it's really sad, though. :(

It's a good idea to have chicks first because if they grow up with you, they'll trust you when they're adults. I did the same thing, even though they still run away from me when I try to catch them, they are WAAAY easier to catch than my grandpa's chickens because he didn't have them as little chicks. So it's a good thing you bought chicks! :D

You should also check the predators thread so that you know more about racoons unless you already know a lot about them. :p

Thanks for joining BYC! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom