1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New here with a question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crisnrich, May 19, 2009.

1. crisnrich

crisnrich New Egg

May 19, 2009
    Hi all,

I received some "mystery" chicks. I know a few are araucanas. However they came from Mt healthy Hatchery. I was told the others were brown rocks. Assuming they meant partridge rock. I am thinking they are speckled sussex. My question to you is what do you think? Right now the chicks are mottled brown/black. Some have white feathers mixed in. When do speckled sussex get the speckling pattern? How about the partridge pattern, when does the green feathering show? I've never raised either of these breeds before. Thanks for your help!

Cris

PS- sorry!!! I just realized I put this in the wring section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. sweetie54

sweetie54 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    they sure are cute thats all i know!!!![​IMG]

3. NJbirdlover

NJbirdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Salem County, NJ
    hmm, I have 2 speckled chicks and they don't really resemble them too much. Heads seem a lot lighter than mine.

WELCOME TO BYC!!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    With Speckled Sussex, I'd expect more white on the wings. The legs look a little too dark also.

5. crisnrich

crisnrich New Egg

May 19, 2009
    [​IMG] hmmm, so what else might they be (keeping in mind they came from Mt Healthy which doesn't have a huge variety)? Some have white feathers on the wing tips. Some have a white breast.

6. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I think they could be SS. Their legs look white to me, and they look similar to the ones I have. SS chicks can vary in shade and pattern, from what I have seen anyway. I would say you have a couple roos in there, but not 100% sure on that yet as they are still a little young to tell. I have a SS roo - that wasn't supposed to be! Oh well, he's gonna be pretty, so guess I'll keep him. [​IMG]

7. crisnrich

crisnrich New Egg

May 19, 2009
    They ended up developing out into Speckled sussex! We're very pleased with their growth. I'll post pics when I can! [​IMG]

Cris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by