New here with an issue with a chick, broken toes or bone defiency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jaehon_geek, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Jaehon_geek

Jaehon_geek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Good morning back yard chickens.
    A friend mentioned this site.
    This pullet is about a week old if a little less. I recently got them from a Norwegian Jaehon breeder near me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have contacted him, but want to know what my options are...
    Thanks
    Sherry

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    How does the chick walk? Is it goofy and bow legged, or does it walk at all?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. Jaehon_geek

Jaehon_geek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Seems to walk just fine.. its the toes that have me worried..
    Thanks

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you're not interested in showing or breeding, and just have them for eggs/meat/pets, I wouldn't worry about it. This, I have read, can be something that happens during hatching, or it can be a genetic problem. You might be able to straighten them out if you wish, with some tape and a lightweight piece of cardboard. I've had two adults that had a toe or two like that; never bothered them.

If he's breeding for quality lines, this chick may be a cull because of the toes and the possibility that it is genetic.

5. BiggestLittleCityChickens

BiggestLittleCityChickens New Egg

Apr 12, 2011
    Jaehon_geek , I just posted about an Ameracauna chick of mine that did this and she seems to walk fine too. I tried the taping to straighten them, but once she was untaped, they would go back to curling. Thank you DDawn for the reassurance that she can be a full sized hen and not have troubles walking with them.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]
    The link in my signature has a lot of great info on foot/leg issues. The site was created by another BYC member. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by