New Here with our first six baby chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by griggy, Feb 18, 2014.

1. griggy

griggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2014
    Hi there!
    My husband and I are new to the boards and to chickens. We moved to a little farmette as our daughter has 4 brain tumors and we are trying to eat as naturally and healthy as possible. We currently have 4 eight month old Dominque hens which we got a month or so ago and we love them.

We just got six chicks today. So far so good, although glad I was able to search here and see that they look they are dead when they are sleeping because I got freaked out!!

Thanks for all the great advice and keep it coming!

1 person likes this.
  2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC and congratulations on your first baby chicks. Our first chicks are 5 wks old now and it has been an exciting adventure watching them grow. Prayers for your daughter and success with the farmette.

3. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

What wonderful parents! May you receive the best from this life and the next for your efforts for your daughter!
    Do you have pictures of your babies and the older ones? I just got my first chicks on Saturday and I tell ya, I couldn't be happier!
    And :welcome

4. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    Welcome! Glad you joined BYC!!

5. Zoeyheart

Zoeyheart Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2014
    Just hatched today, 1 little feather necked showgirl. Here siblings have not pipped yet. maybe tomorrow, They are in there and wiggling but no tapping yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gcbsmommy

gcbsmommy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Florida
    Congratulations! We raised our first "flock" of 27 last year - they all survived to adulthood! I recommend as many others do putting a tsp. of raw apple cider vinegar in their water - it keeps their digestive system in good health and helps them avoid pasting. Enjoy your chicks!

7. griggy

Feb 3, 2014
    Hi..back with an update! We now have 10 chicks and we LOVE it. I can't believe how funny they are and how much they have grown. Knock on wood we have not had any problems at all. We currently have:
    3 Black Austrolorps
    2 Easter Eggers
    1 Red Sex Link
    2 Buff Orpingtons
    2 Barred Rocks

I would love to get more! Here's a photo shoot with mine (all 2 or 1 weeks old)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    So cute and quite the posers:)

9. griggy

Feb 3, 2014
    Such a difference a week makes! I can't believe how big they are getting. Here is today's photo shoot..the big ones are 3 weeks old today and the little ones are 2 weeks old. They are so funny and cute. When I put my hand in their box, they all run in the corner except one of the buffs..she runs right up and jumps on my hand. She loves to be cuddled and will ride around on my shoulder. She is hilarious. When she gets near me, one of the Black Austrolorps (who has a little brown dot on her head) will get brave and run up to me as well. I can't believe how much fun chickens are!

[​IMG]

10. griggy

Feb 3, 2014
    Here's my babies at 3 and 4 weeks old! I have switched to play sand which I really like much better than the pine chips. They are getting really feathered and enjoy roosting now. One of the Buff Orpingtons is totally in love with me. All the rest will run in the corner when I stick my hand in the box, but she runs up to me and climbs up my arm up to my shoulder. I'm not sure she knows she is a chicken! Having so much fun with these little ones!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by