1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New here-with three brown Danish leghorns

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by motheroffour, Apr 9, 2016.

1. motheroffour

motheroffour Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    Alberta
    [​IMG]
    Hi everyone. We're from Alberta,Canada.
    We got two hens and a rooster yesterday. Brown leghorns. Love my rooster! The hens today are fighting over the nesting boxes-one specific nesting box. Is this normal? They all came from the same but is this what you call pecking order? Also how many days till they lay after a move to a new home?
    Thanks all!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You have picked my favorite variety of my favorite breed. Aren't they beautiful? Generally after moving to a new home hens may lay for a day or two (eggs already developing in the reproductive tract) and then take a break as they adjust to their new environment. Enjoy your birds.

3. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer Premium Member

Hello and :welcome
    We're glad you joined us!

Yes it is, no matter how many laying boxes you have they are all going to choose one to be their favorite and all lay in the same box. (Almost all the time) :p If they are the same age then no it's not the pecking order. The pecking order is for example you have two older hens, then below them are two slightly younger hens, and below them are pulled and below them are chicks. The hens will peck on all the ones that are younger than they are. Im not sure about the last quasi on, it all depends on their age and how long it takes them to get used to their new home. Hope this helps. :)

4. motheroffour

motheroffour Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2016
    Alberta
    They sure are beautiful. Thanks for your reply. Both my hens laid this evening. So exciting.

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us. Congrats on your eggs - nothing beats eating your own!

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by