New here, yet familiar with the coop!

MamaPeahen

Chirping
Jun 9, 2018
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've had chickens all my life! When my family moved to the house I was raised in, which was when I was only a year old, the previous owners had left behind their chickens. We raised that bunch, and soon added a new generation of 5 chicks, then another 7. At my old place, peafowl ran all around the neighborhood, ever since my neighbors brought them fourty years ago. Every Spring since 2012, I have tried to rescue the chicks that the peahens abandon, and have taken in eight runt/sick chicks. Unfortunately, some of those cases had worms from their mothers, were fatally injured(usually from trying to follow their mothers and then being attacked by them or just from being left alone), or had some other sickness, but four of those chicks are now adults who left to flock with the other birds, and my latest, Oakley, is still staying with me!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Right now, I only have two hens, Thelma and Louise, which were the two girls I moved with when moving to my new house, but all the others are in safe hands! I also have my one peachick, Oak(who is currently asleep next to me).

(3) What breeds do you have?
My two hens are australorps, and my peachick is an Indian blue.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I found BYC while seeking help for one of my sick peachicks.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I spend most of my time drawing and playing the ocarina.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a family of my mother and father, my four older brothers, and my little sister. As for pets, I have my three birds with me, my three dogs, and my potbelly pig. I plan on raising many others in the near future!!

upload_2017-5-23_20-15-7.gif

Glad you're here with us!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I've had chickens all my life! When my family moved to the house I was raised in, which was when I was only a year old, the previous owners had left behind their chickens. We raised that bunch, and soon added a new generation of 5 chicks, then another 7. At my old place, peafowl ran all around the neighborhood, ever since my neighbors brought them fourty years ago. Every Spring since 2012, I have tried to rescue the chicks that the peahens abandon, and have taken in eight runt/sick chicks. Unfortunately, some of those cases had worms from their mothers, were fatally injured(usually from trying to follow their mothers and then being attacked by them or just from being left alone), or had some other sickness, but four of those chicks are now adults who left to flock with the other birds, and my latest, Oakley, is still staying with me!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Right now, I only have two hens, Thelma and Louise, which were the two girls I moved with when moving to my new house, but all the others are in safe hands! I also have my one peachick, Oak(who is currently asleep next to me).

(3) What breeds do you have?
My two hens are australorps, and my peachick is an Indian blue.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I found BYC while seeking help for one of my sick peachicks.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I spend most of my time drawing and playing the ocarina.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a family of my mother and father, my four older brothers, and my little sister. As for pets, I have my three birds with me, my three dogs, and my potbelly pig. I plan on raising many others in the near future!!
awesopme.jpg

We have an active pea hen group here!

farmer-connie-peacock-.02.gif

Back
Top Bottom