New Here

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by megsican26, Apr 30, 2016.

1. megsican26

megsican26 New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Mississippi
    Hi everyone. I've lived on this forum for 2 weeks gathering all the knowledge I could!! I have a single duck egg that survived the coyotes on our land. I have no idea how old it is, but I've learned so much that I have it narrowed down to the day almost!! I'm so in love with this little wonder and I am a nervous wreck waiting for him to hatch. I built an incubator, learned how to wire electricity, raise humidity, make a wet bulb thermometer, ect. Lol. Right now he's rocking and looks like he's working hard on his internal pip. I just wanted to say thanks for all of the info you all offer and I'm definitely open to any pointers if you have any!!

2. FarmerMac

FarmerMac Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC, looks like your egg will hatch, a single duck may get lonely so it may be a good idea to get a couple more so they can keep company. Do you have any other poultry? Maybe a broody hen to take care of him? Good luck with your hatching.

3. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Hello!! Great job on taking in so much information and applying it!! What breed of duck is it? I just hatched my first duck eggs last week. The eggs were shipped to me and only 1 egg survived to hatch time. I now have a beautiful, little duckling who was a week old yesterday. He's doing great! I have more ducks eggs due to hatch in a little over a week. So he won't be alone forever. It can take awhile for them to internally pip. My guy rocked around for 2 days before he actually broke through the membrane. When you candle you will see a shadow inside the air cell when he pips. And if you listen closely you should be able to hear him peeping. Although I didn't hear mine peep right away but I did see the shadow. Also right before internal pip the air cell will grow a lot and slant down on one side. This is totally normal. Good luck. Be sure to post updates!

4. megsican26

megsican26 New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the pointers :) And congrats on your little one!! I'm almost certain this is a mallard since thats the only thing we have frequent our pond. And Canadian geese.. That take their 1 little newborn for a daily stroll through my backyard.. SO precious!! I took a pic to give you all some insight on where we are :) I hope it posts!

5. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Oh so these are not eggs from your ducks! So cool!! The picture didn't load. Can you try again? I really want to see it!! :)

6. megsican26

megsican26 New Egg

Apr 22, 2016
    Mississippi
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by