New here!

MrsWeaver15

Hatching
Jun 11, 2016
Romney, West Virginia
I just got these beautiful chickens and they were fine with the little Bantam hen but now they're chasing her. Others are about I'd say a month and half older. How do I get them to accept her? Should I get her a friend?

welcome-byc.gif
New chickens always squabble, and big chickens pick on small chickens. The pecking order is like 'mean girls' in high school. Try to provide hiding places that she can escape to and make sure that she is getting to eat and drink.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Integrating new chickens is never easy and especially with mixing in one Bantam, since they are so much smaller than standard sized chickens. Generally you should mix in two or more at one time so there is less bickering. And usually when mixing in new birds, you need to keep the new bird or birds in a cage or fenced off area within the flock for several weeks so they all get to know each other from behind wire. Nobody can hurt the other.

It probably would be a good idea to keep her with either those of the flock that will except her, or get other bantams and keep them in separate quarters. Little chickens can have a hard time. Definitely put out more food and waterers as your flock will try and starve her out. Same with nesting areas....give her her own spot.

But yes, if she were mine, I would get more of her kind and keep them separate.

Good luck and enjoy your flock! :)

I'll try another friend. She was with these hens also rooster at her old place. Idk what changed except moving. They run her off.
See if another bird in the flock will hang out with her ok. As long as she has a buddy, they will be fine together. Give them their own separate place to enjoy life and all should be well for this little Bantam! :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom