New here!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MrsWeaver15, Jun 11, 2016.

1. MrsWeaver15

MrsWeaver15 New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Romney, West Virginia
    I just got these beautiful chickens and they were fine with the little Bantam hen but now they're chasing her. Others are about I'd say a month and half older. How do I get them to accept her? Should I get her a friend?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] New chickens always squabble, and big chickens pick on small chickens. The pecking order is like 'mean girls' in high school. Try to provide hiding places that she can escape to and make sure that she is getting to eat and drink.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Integrating new chickens is never easy and especially with mixing in one Bantam, since they are so much smaller than standard sized chickens. Generally you should mix in two or more at one time so there is less bickering. And usually when mixing in new birds, you need to keep the new bird or birds in a cage or fenced off area within the flock for several weeks so they all get to know each other from behind wire. Nobody can hurt the other.

It probably would be a good idea to keep her with either those of the flock that will except her, or get other bantams and keep them in separate quarters. Little chickens can have a hard time. Definitely put out more food and waterers as your flock will try and starve her out. Same with nesting areas....give her her own spot.

But yes, if she were mine, I would get more of her kind and keep them separate.

Good luck and enjoy your flock! :)

4. MrsWeaver15

MrsWeaver15 New Egg

Jun 11, 2016
    Romney, West Virginia
    I'll try another friend. She was with these hens also rooster at her old place. Idk what changed except moving. They run her off.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    See if another bird in the flock will hang out with her ok. As long as she has a buddy, they will be fine together. Give them their own separate place to enjoy life and all should be well for this little Bantam! :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  6. Casper101Popcor

Casper101Popcor Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome The BYC! You know, the problem with chickens is that they love to pick on the smaller, weaker ones. I would advise getting her another Bantam hen for a buddy.

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] You should probably get her a new bantam buddy. Chickens can be sweeties, but they can also be very mean! Were all very glad you joined BYC! Have a great time! [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Are you sure all you other birds are hens. Maybe be a rooster leading the charge.

9. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by