New here

poupoule

Songster
11 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Hello everybody,

I am new at the forum and don't really know how things work but hope to find out!
I just got some days old chicks (Australorp and Rhode Island). I put them in a home made brooder : a tall plastic toy box (stolen from my kids), with a light in it. I am not sure of the flooring. I've tried paper towel but am not very happy with it, read straw is not good (???), so was thinking of putting sand (as I have a good supply in my yard). I would love for someone to give me some advice . Thanks

Hi and welcome!
I don't know it this will help but here is what I used...
Layer of newspaper, paper towel on top, THEN shredded newspaper(I hijacked my hubby's paper shredder from his office). That seemed to work great. Plus they loved snuggling in it.

welcome-byc.gif

Oups sorry! I am so anxious about my baby that I didn't inroduce myself veru well.

I live in NSW Australia. Have 3 young kids, a dog, 2 budgies, 1 bunny and 2 Isa brown and a rooster (Australorp x Rhode island I think). And since a few days 2 chicks and more to come soon.

Thanks Ellymae. Thought newspaper was not good for chicks as they can eat it and it can contain some toxins. May be need to check my references. If it works great for you, I'll try. See you all

WELCOME Poupoule!!

Most newspapers these days use soy based inks, I'd avoid too many colored ink sections etc, but probably ok otherwise. Have fun with your new peeps and have fun here! I'm pretty new here too, but people sure are friendly.

Back
Top Bottom