New here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shorty1071, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Shorty1071

Shorty1071 Just Hatched

Jan 1, 2017
    Hi there!
    Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jami, I had chickens as a kid for pets and 4-H competition and absolutely adored them. I had multiple different breeds and I loved them to pieces! We did a lot wrong, I don't think any of our chickens lasted more than a couple years before dying :( also lost a few to predators.
    Fast forward 10 years, my boyfriend and I are starting our own little hobby farm. I have an Arabian horse, two dogs, and two cats. We are getting two Nigerian Dwarf doelings in May or Jun.
    I have 17 chicks coming from Murray McMurray hatchery the first week of April. I am getting an assortment of females- buff orps, australorps, delawares, speckled sussex, new hampshires, partridge rock and barred rock. They are intended to be pets, with the benefit of eggs for family and friends. Thinking of adding meat chickens and some leghorns strictly for eggs next year, but didn't want to bite off more than we could chew for this year. Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Welcome, sounds like you have a nice variety of chickens selected. Most of what you picked, especially the australorps, are excellent layers, You may not even need to get leghorns just for eggs. You may find them more flighty than the breeds you have chosen.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Shorty1071, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Sounds like you have a lot of experience with various farm critters! I really like the assortment of birds you've chosen - and McMurray is a good outfit. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Jami [​IMG] Welcome!

Congratulations and best wishes with your hobby farm! Very exciting! [​IMG]

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community. I wish you all the best with your new chickens. I'd suggest reading up a little on meat birds - they are chickens, but not as we know them [​IMG]

All the best
    CT

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens - hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Jami, you chose some nice breeds to start with. I've ordered from MM before and had good luck with them.

Best wishes for what looks to be a busy new year for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by