New here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eelson, Jan 26, 2017.

1. eelson

eelson New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    North Texas
    Hey ya'll

Have been a long time visitor here, joined today after finding a good thread on solving the mystery of dead chickens. We had a tragic complete loss of our flock overnight and the family is heart broken. We lost 14 hens and our Rooster. It was a rough day to say the least.

Glad to be here and share our love of chickens

-b

Here's our flock just a couple days ago. They were a great bunch.[​IMG]

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Oh, that's horrible...I'm so sorry for your loss. Do you know what caused it?

My condolences.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to BYC - it's a pity that you join us during such a sad time. I wish you all the best in finding out the cause of your loss.

CT

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Aaaw Gees eelson that is awful [​IMG]

I am sorry to hear of your heartbreaking, senseless loss. Even though it is still sad I can understand a hungry beast, but killing 15 chickens in one night was not just for food [​IMG]

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Oh no... [​IMG]

Welcome..hope you find the reason why! This had to be so hard. :(

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very strange, do you think it was predators or someone poisoned them? Were all bodies intact? Sorry to ask you that but, know you want answers. Any neighbors that don't like your chickens?

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Really to sorry to hear about the carnage. [​IMG] Any idea on the culprit? Hope you start up with a new flock soon! Best wishes!!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Dang! Sorry for your loss.

9. eelson

eelson New Egg

Jan 26, 2017
    North Texas
    I worked through the difficult task of clearing out the coop and burying our chickens after work yesterday. Looking at the evidence my guess is racoon. None were eaten or missing, Many were torn into and some decapitated. With all 15 in a single room coop and about full grown, anything smaller than a racoon doesnt make sense. I havent found any bloody paw prints or tufts of fur from the culprit.

We have lost chickens in the past but we raised these from day old chicks so it has a special type of pain associated with it.

Thanks all!

This wont be our last flock.

1 person likes this.
  10. whoop whoop

whoop whoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Rainbow Nation
    [​IMG] Really sorry for your loss it sounds awful. Why would a raccoon do that, and not eat them? is that normal behaviour for a Raccoon?
    I hope you start again soon -and you have my sympathy I know how you get attached to these lovely creatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by