New here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Elweirdo, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Elweirdo

Elweirdo Just Hatched

Jan 27, 2017
    Gig Harbor
    My first post.
    I've wanted to start a flock for a long time. I used to buy eggs from a coworker and they were so amazing, much better than store bought. After 2016 almost killed me, my wife and I moved to Gig Harbor. The last owner had birds so our new home has a coop already with a run all fenced.
    We are thinking 3 hens to start.
    I am reading, reading, reading, trying to prepare. I want to be ready.
    The local farm store will start getting chicks next week.
    So here I am.
    Checking it out and looking for information.
    I'll be around.
    Thanks for being here.
    Jeff

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Jeff, nice to meet you. Hope 2017 is much kinder to you. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Jeff and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. It may be an idea to call the farm store and ask what breeds they plan on getting - the choice could be limited, but it would help your breed selection choices, unless you wish to look further afield.

Best wishes
    CT

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Jeff

Glad you could the flock! Sorry to hear 2016 was not good, I hope 2017 is much better and that you enjoy your new chicken adventures. They sure do bring lots of fun and enjoyment into your life. Have you checked out our learning Center? Lots of super articles there that are most helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Elweirdo [​IMG] Welcome!

With it being the year of the Rooster and you getting chickens, 2017 might just be your year!

Best of luck with your new home and flock.

You might want to say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Jeff, hope 2017 is a much better year for you. It sounds like it's getting off well, what with adding poultry to your place.

About getting new chicks at the farm store, unless you pick out sex link chicks, you run the risk of getting a rooster or two. Be prepared for that and you should do well.

Thanks for joining us!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Jeff, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! May 2017 be better for you than 2016! Best wishes to you and your future flock! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by