New here!

onyxh

Hatching
Feb 25, 2017
Hi! I'm onyx and I'm from east London! I haven't incubated any chick eggs before but I'm going to be getting some on Wednesday so have been really excited and researching loads! Would love any advice you can give me as I'm gonna need all the help I can get!
Hope to hear from everyone soon!

*Edited by staff*

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
Hi :welcome onyx

Glad you could join us here! How exciting for you to be incubating for the first time :clap What kind of incubator do you have? My best advice would be to check this article out ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
It's packed full of great info. We also have a Easter Hatch a long thread that you will be able to get help on also ~
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1151482/the-8th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/0_30

Good luck and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

Hi! Previously I've incubated gecko eggs in a reptile incubator as my two geckos had mated, so I thought of using the same incubator for the chick eggs. I checked to make sure that using a reptile incubator would be safe for the chick eggs and found that it was alright, I would just have to turn my eggs by hand.

Last edited:
Wow gecko eggs! What breed of chickens are you having a go at?

I have no clue yet,I'm not very knowledgable on chickens as of yet but the farm that I volunteer at has a mix of breeds that live together so it could be anything!

Would knowing the breed before it hatches help in any way or can I find out after it hatches?

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

Yorkshire Coop has given you some good links to check out, so I'll just say hello and good luck with your hatch!

I have no clue yet,I'm not very knowledgable on chickens as of yet but the farm that I volunteer at has a mix of breeds that live together so it could be anything!

Would knowing the breed before it hatches help in any way or can I find out after it hatches?

Ooh mixed breeds :) I like mixed breeds as you never know what your going to get :pop
You could ask what breeds they are then you know what the mixes will be as it's sometimes quite hard to guess the parentage from the chicks that hatch.

Ooh mixed breeds :) I like mixed breeds as you never know what your going to get :pop
You could ask what breeds they are then you know what the mixes will be as it's sometimes quite hard to guess the parentage from the chicks that hatch.

Yes, I'll make sure I do! Thank you !

G’Day from down under onyxh
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and links, I will just send good hatching vibes your way.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom