New here. :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Four Acre Bliss, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    I've been lurking for a while, reading and laughing at all the crazy chicken antics and planning for the future ... well, we're finally about to place our first order for chicks, so I figured it was time to sign up! I know I'll have lots of questions.

We're ordering mostly Speckled Sussex and a few Ameraucana. I'm really excited about it. We have an old shed (actually built as an outhouse but never used -- currently has a potty right in the middle!) that we're renovating into the coop and will be building an attached run to protect the girls from predators in our back woods.

We have two little boys who will be helping take care of the chickens, which is a big reason I picked Speckled Sussex -- everything I could find says they are very gentle and friendly but not too boring, which is perfect for my little guys. And of course, they have good eggs and meat, and they're gorgeous to look at -- what more could we want? The Ameraucanas are more for the novelty factor and being able to sell "extra" eggs to the lady across the street who is a sucker for the colored eggs, but I've read that they are gentle, too.

Anyway, thank you all for being here and providing this wonderful service to the world. I didn't know where to start with chickens, and now I do, thanks to hours of reading right here on BYC. But I have a lot to learn, so I'm sticking around. [​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    [​IMG]

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

5. Chickenhatcher89

Chickenhatcher89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Lawrenceburg, TN
    [​IMG]

6. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

A lot of folks lurk and decide they like it and stick around. I did for about two weeks. Now I'm addicted like a lot of folks. Glad your here. I have kids too, and I figured that in when I was picking breeds.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! See ya around.

7. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    little bit of info!!! If you have a question....just ask anyone and they sould be able to help you out!! ooohhhh and by the way [​IMG] from Grayson, Kentucky!!!!

8. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia