New here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by gale65, Aug 20, 2010.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi-we've recently decided to get a few laying hens so I figured I should relearn all about it. About 18 yrs ago I raised layers, fancy breeds, ducks, and cornish cross but it's been so long and I can't remember a whole lot of how I did it (it was in my former life, most of which I've blocked from my memory-for my mental health). We currently live on a small livestock operation where we raise beef cattle and occasionally hogs, plus we grow crops. That's in addition to the 3 kids, dog, cat and 2 rabbits. Oh and the fish. [​IMG]

Gale

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congrats and welcome to BYC...

Jump right in.. in any section of the forum and there will be folks happy to answer any questions you have.

Many of us who raise chickens in urban settings wish we were so blessed to be living in the country like you.
    [​IMG]

3. cambriagardener

cambriagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad you have found a better life. Raising chickens will come back to you as you go along. And remember, we're here to help should you need us! [​IMG]

4. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    [​IMG] and a Texas size: [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What kind of chickens are you planning on getting? [​IMG]

6. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Quote:I have one of those too! Dh was just asking me something about my former life and I told him "IDK, that was somebody else. I don't remember much about her." [​IMG]

Anyway, welcome Gale! I came here when I picked up chickens again after a long stint without them and this is an awesome place to get information! [​IMG]

7. momofspoiledchicks

momofspoiledchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2009
    South Carolina
    Welcome! I think if you can manage to raise all those animals AND kids, chickens will be a breeze!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the welcomes. We're thinking about getting sex links so we know we're getting the right sex for sure-I worked at the grain elevator where we sold chickens and the sexing wasn't always 100% (we ordered them from a hatchery-we didn't sex them ourselves). We're only going to get 8 girls and 1 boy so I want it to be accurate. I only wanted 6 and dh wanted 12 so this is our compromise. [​IMG] In the past I raised all types of heavy layers, polish, and even borrowed a neighbor's white silkie to sit on some RIR eggs (that was a funny sight-that tiny hen trying to round up those big chicks). [​IMG]

Oh, our kids are home schooled so this will be a good learning experience for them too. We'll incorporate it into our lessons somehow.

9. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG] Sounds like a nice group of birds.

10. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] From Maine!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by